Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier

10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier

10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier! by Geneviève M. Clavreul:"Whether you work an 8-hour or 12-hour shift, there are things you can do to help make your work easier and your day run more smoothly. You may recognize some of the following suggestions from your nursing school days. Call this article Nursing 101: The Refresher Course. The problem is, we often forget the organizational basics when confronted by the demands of the real world of nursing. Practice these tips and you'll feel that you're controlling your shift rather than it controlling you."
    Working World Magazine
    3600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1526 Los Angeles, CA 90010
    Tel: (213)385-4781
    Fax: (213)385-3782
    WorkingNurse@WorkingWorld.com
    http://www.workingworld.com/magazine...o=286&wn=1

I thought this article would be helpful to at least a few of us.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory

Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier

Quote Originally Posted by nursinghumor
    10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier! by Geneviève M. Clavreul:"Whether you work an 8-hour or 12-hour shift, there are things you can do to help make your work easier and your day run more smoothly. You may recognize some of the following suggestions from your nursing school days. Call this article Nursing 101: The Refresher Course. The problem is, we often forget the organizational basics when confronted by the demands of the real world of nursing. Practice these tips and you'll feel that you're controlling your shift rather than it controlling you."
    Working World Magazine
    3600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1526 Los Angeles, CA 90010
    Tel213)385-4781
    Fax213)385-3782
    WorkingNurse@WorkingWorld.com
    http://www.workingworld.com/magazine...o=286&wn=1

I thought this article would be helpful to at least a few of us.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com
    Thanks for sharing the article, I found it very helpful!

Talking Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier

Great Article!

I'm a new nurse and many of those items were no-brainers to me. I already come in early, organize the nurse's station, stock my cart, etc. And I'm AMAZED that I'm one of the ONLY nurses that does it. Where I work nurses stroll in 15-30 min. LATE (I arrive 10-15 min. early). The carts are always out of supplies and no one empties their garbage for the next shift. In the 2 months that I've been there my efforts have not motivated others, but I will continue to do so because I feel that is the right thing to do.

This article is a good reminder of things that over time are easy to start slacking on. It's true that having things prepared ahead of time makes for an easier shift.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

Great article and amazing but true how often these no-brainers are neglected

Wink Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Shift Easier

I read the article and printed it off to hang on the bulletin borard at work. All nurses need small reminders of the little things we often forget or take for granted. We work in a high paced world and life just passes by like a nascar race.I think the part about taking that all important break is essential. I often find myself waitng until everyone else has returned to the floor and then forget to take my break.

Member Extraordinaire

I like my job but where I work the word break hardly exists. We do our own c-sections and recovery and the doctors will want them done at lunchtime so there's 1 person who can't go. Then that leaves 1 or 2 other nurses with the other laboring patients. We often run get something to eat and eat at the desk. I dare the DON to come tell us not to eat at the desk. All of our scrub techs smoke so they do get away but then they don't have to chart anything either..

Even though i have no experience in a hospital setting i am aware of how its like to be in these 24 hour high stress situations working on aircraft and trying to get missions completed while having shop chiefs, unit commanders, etc breathing on your neck.

The arriving 15-20 minutes early is a DEFINITE big help. I used to not do that and i used to always be a few minutes late but you would not believe how much of a boost in confidence i had when i just got there 15 minutes early and felt less stress and was better prepared.

I think one thing that wasnt mentioned in that article was just have a positive attitude and try to approach things in the best way possible. You have to find your own way to "breathe" at work.

ok im a big dummy.. it does say something about attitude... thats what i get for not finishing past number 8! doh!

Member Extraordinaire

also remember you can do anything for 12 hours (or 8) some days that 12 hours might be harder to get through but you do get through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast