Thread: hi everyone im a recovering newie.

hi everyone im a recovering newie.

Originally Posted by viafree
    Hi everyone, i'm so glad i found this site, although i am new to forums and threads, i hope im in the right place for the intro, if not please direct me. I am an lpn in recovery almost 2 and a half years and i feel so lost and alone. I will be getting my license back in Febuary and i am so scared, i have a felony for drug possesion, i live in cleveland ohio, and know no one who is facing what i am. i have been in recovery 28 months and want to go back to work so bad, but will anyone want to hire me? any in put will be cherished,and does any one know of a nurse recovery group in my area? thanks guys, i need to be here, am i in the right place to post about recovery and nurses?:confused:

Re: hi everyone im a recovering newie.

First of all YOU ARE NOT ALONE! And I say that because I was in your place recently. I am new to the diversion program of New Jersey. I am finding it difficult but I am so thankful for this site! Keep posting

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Here is a link that may help you: Addiction Prevention Education Consulting Services I know it is for CRNA's, but perhaps they can guide you.

Yes, you are in the right Forum for this intro. Good luck!

You're not alone! The only reason I don't have many felonies is because I never got caught. I had an extensive history of drug abuse before before I started diverting at work and this made me feel quite different then all other recovering nurses. I am fairly new in recovery and in the NJ RAMP program. For me, membership in a 12 step program is essential and i've come to believe that practicing nursing again is a benefit of sustained, monitored recovery. If you want to talk, e-mail me chris

It's been awhile since I have been on this site. I am so glad to see that I am not the only one going through all this. Does anyone know what the length of time it is best to ask the NJ RAMP if you can return to work?

I asked to go back to worth with around 9 months clean and it was suggested to me to look for part time nursing work, until this years school semester is over. I am enrolled in one college class toward my BSN (This is a benefit of recovery...for years I said I will go back to school and never did it). I HIGHLY suggest keeping in constant contact with your case manager at RAMP. Every monday I drop my case manager a short e-mail and let her know how things are going. I include things like my recovery and progress in my 12 step (contact with sponsor, working steps, commitments, networking; i keep it vague but let her know that i'm doing what i'm supposed to), attendance at my weekly peer meetings, school, work, living situation, and even personal stuff with family because that was an issue for me in early recovery. I feel like she knows me very well and I think that was something that made her feel comfortable with me going back to work. I hadn't asked to go back to work sooner than that but I think she might have said yes.

As far as going back to work, I haven't started that process yet. I need to get my resume in order but I am nervous about my potential references. I only worked at one facility in my young career and had two supervisors. I want to use them as references but I have to call them and thank them for helping me to get help and let them know what's been going on, then ask for their permission as references. From there I will need to find something applicable for work. I have peers in RAMP that have been hired at dialysis centers and radiology centers. I'd rather not work with narcotics. If anyone has any feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I am a recovering RN in Washington state. I feel isolated and alone as well. I live in a rural area without RN peer groups. I have been in recovery for 20 months. I want to move closer to my family in the southeast, but I am afraid that my recovery program will be a great stumbling block for me to overcome. Because I went to inpatient treatment, the RN recovery program contract is for 5 years. *It is based on the type of treatment you assessed for. 5 years sounds like forever, especially when I started. Nice to know that there are others who feel isolated.

Serenity,
    Call Wash. State Board and ask how to continue the program in another state. Isolation is not good and being near family will help you. Plenty of nurses have moved.
    Good Luck,
    Let us know what you find out.