Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disillusioned with OR nursing!

Re: disillusioned with OR nursing!

I am a part of a "clique" in our or. I believe it is a matter of survival in my workplace to have friends - any friends - to make it. They are the only people who have concern for my welfare, sanity, need for a break, extra hand to help set up...etc.
    It really is a management problem. They don't require staff to help each other out, or give breaks - so the only people to depend on are the friends - or clique members, if that is what you want to call them. Cliques can be TEAMS with TEAMWORK the right management...

Quote Originally Posted by or-nery View Post
    I am a part of a "clique" in our or. I believe it is a matter of survival in my workplace to have friends - any friends - to make it. They are the only people who have concern for my welfare, sanity, need for a break, extra hand to help set up...etc.
    It really is a management problem. They don't require staff to help each other out, or give breaks - so the only people to depend on are the friends - or clique members, if that is what you want to call them. Cliques can be TEAMS with TEAMWORK the right management...
    I agreee with you about needing allies in the field. But after a while, kissing everyone's butt gets old. I like working. I feel good when I do a good job and things run smoothly. I'm not much of a socializer while working because I get distracted and make mistakes. The biggest problem that I have is that people tend to make-up "policy" based on what they like. They also tend to like to get riled up over issues that can be easily solved by checking the chart, rather than paging the doctor for every darn thing. Oh, and the anesthesia personnel... I remember when I worked ICU and how high strung those nurses were. Well, those same high strung control freaks have a regular tendency of giving my patient versed prior to me interviewing them. I also get lots of "help" from my co-workers. They come into my room and take over my tasks or socialize. Both of these activities distract me and aren't helpful at all. I absolutely love my work, but am beginning to believe that nursing isn't for me. I've worked in several environments. But I wouldn't want to work any one of them full-time because people are less than kind. I have read a bit on the subject and many psychologists point to the female dynamic. It's an environment full of bullying. They say that they see this environment replicated in teaching and other female dominated professions. I'm thinking of getting into engineering. I love the technical analytical aspects of nursing. But the social structure is for the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by or-nery View Post
    No one should ever have to be in a clique to survive in their job. Cliques really do not help the problem you're speaking of, it really serves to aggravate it, because eventually, the work environment will just get worse.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

But the social structure is for the birds.
    I agree, big time.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12