Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

I wish you the best of luck with RN. I have 2 semesters. It is not easy. As to the work...I am from a small town, so I have to travel to other areas to work. I have a military b.g. if you know of any overseas jobs or lead to them.
    Rick

I thought making application, requesting a Governor pardon for your crimes is "State." So what do you hope to accomplish with expungement, because as you stated it does not keep your name off of the registry?

Well rick here in florida even after one receive there rights, one is still not able to find a job do to the fact that Florida is very hardcore about giving someone with a job with a felony. What about having a bond? Has anyone tried that?? Cause I'm attending college in South Georiga Where with a felony I was able to get a job at the hosptial..Not A RN yet..lol

If you replied to me, I must have mislead you or maybe not. I am applying for a restoration of rights. I have no problem admitting a felony 20+ years ago. I have a problem with not being able to join society after you have paid your dues. We hold patients well being in our hands,and by our actions we are judged competent or incompentent. In MS if you have a drug problem you are allowed to go to rehab and upon completion, allowed to practice either with or without rstrictions. I think a person convicted of a felony( that is not harmful to humanity ) should be afforded the same opportunity.I haven't researched the entire process enough to what I can or cannot do. But there needs to be some alternative in place
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by whattheydokid View Post
    Well rick here in florida even after one receive there rights, one is still not able to find a job do to the fact that Florida is very hardcore about giving someone with a job with a felony. What about having a bond? Has anyone tried that?? Cause I'm attending college in South Georiga Where with a felony I was able to get a job at the hosptial..Not A RN yet..lol
    It would be nice to just work. Fla is not a compact state,nor is Ala. where I had hoped to work. Maybe I need to look at Ga.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by d-ann1 View Post
    I thought making application, requesting a Governor pardon for your crimes is "State." So what do you hope to accomplish with expungement, because as you stated it does not keep your name off of the registry?
    Expungement or sealed records WILL keep you off the radar. You do not have to state you were convicted. A pardon will not release you from relating that you are a felon. Even a Federal Pardon from the President. But all of this brings up an ethics or moral question. If ask, can you ethically or morally say no to a felony, even though you have no obligation to respond in the affirmative. You know. So I chose Restoration of Rights and will persue change from other directions.
    Rick

Cool Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Rick:
    I am new to this forum, but not new to the problems we have been discussing here. I got my license back 4 years ago (after being away for 8 years---just so, so tired of the work of jumping through hoops) and got a job immediately in Psychiatry. This area of nursing is more "open" than others, if you could ever get the name of a person in charge of psychiatry. It is not what I would have chosen FIRST, but as it has turned out, I like it very much and have done well.

I went through drug court, rehab, and all the hoops 13 years ago. I stopped because I was tired. It was my 3rd rehab, etc etc...I was angry at everyone else. I wanted to rest, but what I did was learn a new "trade" while I was resting----computers. When I came back to nursing, I had that experience under my belt...4 years' worth of computer building, repair, software development, on and on, and now, after all this time, I am one of the "trusted ones."

I never thought I'd be trusted again. It's a long arduous process. Humiliation and suspicion keep you on your toes, although it's not comfortable. But, sometimes it's what keeps you clean.

Supposedly, my records were "expunged" when I chose drug court, but a few years back, someone did a background search on me and there it was, big as life. I had a record. I'd love to know what the record shows. The records are quite like credit bureau records from the bank. THEY can see them, but YOU can't. And they are YOUR records. I think I'll take a little trip to the courthouse tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Castlor

Hey. Im in drug court right now in Florida. Im clean 7 months, half way through drug court and IPN is asking me to sign my contract with them. How was your experience?? My record will be sealed afterwards im told. but will I find a job?? ETC.?? Im so confused about all of the nursing stuff. My charges were obtaining a controlled substance by fraud (script fraud). Never neen in trouble a day in my life before this. I am an RN with a Masters Degree. Any advice would be helpful!!!

In Missouri it does not matter if you get probation, suspended sentence, expunged, record erased, record closed, etc. etc. etc.
    All licensed nurses names go on a national registry for health employers to check. To my understanding, it does not reveal the details of your crime or crimes, but it does state what type of felon you are. So as you can see this is one area that the Governor has no control over. There is expungement, pardon, full pardon, and then there is the national registry. Once upon a time all we needed was our paper license and then they came up with the social security act of 1996. Please google it and read it for yourself. If you recall, there is a question on your renewal application about any convictions since your last renewal. If yes, they want an explanation of the events that took place. It does not matter if it was theft, drugs, or murder; They want to know. Here is the kicker, a nurse could have extorted millions of dollars and still get a job before a person that has had a drug conviction. I am not saying that a nurse who has a drug conviction can never get a job, but it is hard. You really have to know somebody that knows somwbody, that knows somebody. It can happen. I have faith or I would not be in RN school right now. I am an LPN and this is first hand information.

I am not sure but I think in NY at least they are not allowed to hire untill convictions are at least 5 or 6 years. I was in somewhat of that situation. I had gotten introuble( but thank god no convictions) but had lost so many nursing jobs that no one would hire me. I finally had to start over I worked ass a cashier for two years the whole time keeping in touch with a facility that had terminated me but had known i was a good workeri worked fore them for over 8 years before being teminated for diverting ultram. I finally got the DON to hire me as a CNA( I was able to get my certification thru prometric only paying 50 dollars and taking a online test for infection control.)I worked for about 9 months never missing a day and finally success I was hired to work as a lpn. I am so happy and I have worked so hard to get were i am today. Please do not give up I am sure you are a good person and do deserve a second chance. best wishes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast