Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Nursing Jobs for Felons

I need some input....several years ago had a problem with the law that resulted in a felony conviction. I volutarily relinquished my nursing license prior to this happening. Since that time, two years ago I went before the nursing board and they reinstated my nursing license. Has getting my license back been for nothing????? I am trying to find a position, however, I am having a difficult time because of the felony. Does anyone have any advice on where I should look? I have had so many doors slammed in my face that I don't know what I am going to do. I have worked very hard to straighten my life out and want to be able to do what I love for a profession. Any insight that you all can share would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.

Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

I'm just replying b/c I'm about to be in the same boat as you! I'm not a nurse yet, but I just turned 20, and I'm getting ready to start nursing school. I was stupid when I was 19, and stole some stuff, and now I'm probably going to have a felony conviction. So I'm actually at the point right now where I don't know if I should start all this nursing school stuff if I'm not even going to be able to get a decent job!! So i'm wondering if I should defer my admission for another semester, and then I can decide whether or not I need to change my major.

I mean I know we don't have the same story, but it is really really frustrating. Not all people with felony convictions are horrible people. I have a great heart, and have done some great things in my life. Just sometimes good people get mixed up with bad crowds, and mistakes are made. But I mean I didn't hurt anyone or rob a bank or anything...I did something as dumb as to steal, not knowing the seriousness of the consequences....and now it could prevent me from doing what I wanted to spend my life doing!

So alls I can say if don't get your hopes down. I know it seems really hard, but believe it or not, there's someone out there who gives 2nd chances. So I guess just keep looking. Letters of recommendation couldn't hurt either, expecially ifthey came from medical professionals that you've previously worked for.

Best of Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by gizmatti
    I need some input....several years ago had a problem with the law that resulted in a felony conviction. I volutarily relinquished my nursing license prior to this happening. Since that time, two years ago I went before the nursing board and they reinstated my nursing license. Has getting my license back been for nothing????? I am trying to find a position, however, I am having a difficult time because of the felony. Does anyone have any advice on where I should look? I have had so many doors slammed in my face that I don't know what I am going to do. I have worked very hard to straighten my life out and want to be able to do what I love for a profession. Any insight that you all can share would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.

I'm not for sure what state your in, but in the state of Illinois that have what is called a medical waiver for convicted felons. You should contact either your local aldermans office for assistants or your secratary of state office. I my self am a convicted felon, it has been over 7 years for me so I have contacted a attorney to represent my case in front of the governer to have my case expunged and sealed, which can still take up to 2 year to be complete, but it really the only chance that I myself have.

I hope this info is helpful to you
    Necole

Hi, my name is Brianna and i am as well about to start nursing school, I have a defered judacation on my record, What my question is, is will i be able to go to school and when and if i do, will i be able to get a decent job? I think that there are people out there willing to give you a second chance you just have to find them.I know what i did 6 yrs ago was wrong and my life has changed so much during that 6 yrs and nursing is what i would love to do.

Smile Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

I personally know a RN with a felony related to diverting dating back 7 years. This person successfully completed diversion and has a rock solid program. I happily report this person is now back in patient care with full access. Hang in there! All things are possible!

thanx cab...because after i read the first 3 issues i got really discouraged but thanx to u my i feel a little more confident

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

It all depends on your State BON. Illinois also has the PANN network for those nurses with drug addictions.

Hi I just found this forum and would like to ask a question I have been a nurse for 28 years Mostly critical care. However, I am in recovery and during my addiction I acquired several felony convictions. the thing is ,is that I have a active licenceand the board is aware of my problems. I am perfectly legal to work. What stops me is i can't get passed human resourses because of the backgroung check. I have had several interviews and things go well until I have to explain that I am a convicted felon. I want to work soooo bad. It is all I have done my adult life. Anyone have any insight or info that might help? I thank you in advance! Gary

Gary, it may relay a lot on the culture and area in which you live. I have a friend (RN) who successfully completed CA diversion program however received a felony. This RN worked in non patient care for 7 years before applying to return to patient care. This RN was completely upfront in the interview and provided a copy of the letter stating her successful completion. Fortunately, the Nurse Manager really wanted to hire this nurse and was able to do so. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that makes you happy.

Re: etg testing

I have heard that there is a class action suit against Dr. Skipper? Does anyone know anything specifically about this? Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast