Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Thanks for the quick responses. But with drug court the state actually drops the charges or noelle processes them. So I will not be charged or convicted. It is a rehabilitation program through court for people who have never been in trouble before, so they dont have to live their life with a conviction. They also seal the arrest afterwards, so it cannot be seen also. I am told the only people that will be able to see my record will be the federal govt or law enforcement. The judge has told me that it WILL NOT show up on a background screen for employment. But my question is, has anybody done drug court and IPN at the same time?? Just wondering.

I was in drug court also. In Alabama. It was in 1997. I was told the same things. But it showed up anyway.

So, after 13 years, I submit, submit, submit my resume, and as long as my license is tagged with disciplinary, NO MATTER WHAT IT WAS THAT I DID, no one wants me. I do have a job. In nursing. Psych. I'm about to go nuts too, though.

Today is one of those days I am not grateful for anything. I am sick to death of nursing, the board of nursing, and the promises you get when you are going through the justice system. I have found that a lot of drug courts, not all, but some, are a money making deal..you pay this large sum of money to get in, then you pay for each drug screen, then if you have a dirty screen, the burden of proof is on you to prove them wrong. AND---if you can't, then guess what? More money.

I had a dirty screen, and I was astounded. I wasn't using. I was scared to death. I had 3 LITTLE kids at home waiting for me to get back from court and the thought never crossed my mind when I closed the door that morning that I might not be coming back. Most of the time, they just snap you up in handcuffs right there if you have a dirty screen and take you to jail. My saving grace was that I had never been arrested before, never in the system, nothing, and they let me go home. But I had to come back weekly for a couple of months (more money). After that dirty screen, I went home and researched on the internet and found a medication that I was taking showed up as benzo's in urine. Whew!!! My DOC was never benzo's. So I showed the documentation to the judge and he was very nice about it, but I still had to go back those weeks and pay that money.

Drugs screen kits are cheap, and they charged $35 each urine back then. Not sure what it is now, but for pennies, they can screen urine on site and you are paying out the nose for drug screens because YOU HAVE TO in order to have a CHANCE to get your license back to have a CHANCE to get a nursing job.

I am just cranky today. Being told "No" from human resources or nurse recruiters really irks me when those same people go home and have their drinks and/or drugs at night.

Winter has gone on too long.

Castlor:nurse-soapbox:

Health care systems see felony convictions as potential liabilities for them and many times cannot hire felons because of insurance issues. In some cases it is difficult to employ those even with misdemeanor convictions depending on the insurer and type of crime.

It's not always about what you done or how well of a clean up you did in the mean time. Smart businesses in general steer away from anything that looks like a liability and employ only those that appear to be an asset. Can you imagine the liability on an organization if an employee committed a crime at work and was hired in spite of a prior conviction?

If you think about it, it makes good business sense to minimize liabilities. If it was your business you would do the same and in fact you would be checking with your insurer before making a decision to employ anyone convicted of a crime.

Unfortunately a lot of quality people have marks in their background that cause them to fit the liability profile even though they perhaps are not the same person in character as when the crime was initially committed.

Time and persistence play a very important role in overcoming a less then perfect background. For some it will take more time then others. In the meantime those who are trying to get into the health care system need to remember that knowing just a few of the right people can make all the difference in the world. People know other people and before you know it, someone can make a phone call for you. Businesses have hiring standards, but people run the business. Make some connections.

Don't be bitter. That will never serve you or improve your chances. Life is full of problems that are designed to be solved. Be persistent, patient and network. In time you will get what you're after.

You can have what you ask for if you believe.

Thank you for your responses. Drug court is very different now in Florida. We pay fifty dollars a month and it covers as many drug screens as we take. They are random. I have not plead guilty to my charges. They are put on pre-trial and then when I finish, they are DROPPED. So there is no conviction. It would be no different then someone being charged with a crime and then going to court and being found NOT GUILTY. I understand the liability/insurance situation. I have a Masters in Healthcare Admin. I just really hope that the court is telling me the truth on the arrest being sealed. I just wondered if anybody else had been through Florida drug courts? I am getting ready to start IPN soon. Im obviously worried that I wont find a job while I am a participant in drug court, which is understandable. Addiction is such a devastating disease. Never in a million years would I have thought that it would devastate my life like this. I went from obtaining a MAsters at a number one school, to three years later, writing fraudulent scripts to obtain pain medicines. I feel great now in my recovery. I understand what happened to me but I am just fearful of the future. I hope that my career is not ruined and all my education wasted.

beachnurse, I don't know how many ways I can tell you that having a sealed record has nothing to do with that question on your license renewal form. When I renew my license it ask about convictions or non-convictions (those types that will be suspended after completing so many years on good behavior).As a matter of fact, I have just recieved my notice to renew and I am sure that question is still there. I don't know what your renewal form says but that is one of the questions I have to answer every two years. I am trying to tell you that you are talking about two different things: Sealed records versus the National Nursing Registry. The courts are not the people that place you on this list; It is your State Board of Nursing.

Just got back from a tour with International Relief Teams, and catching up with post. Some areas of our world appreciate compassion, caring, and any medical help they can receive...as it should be. This nursing vs felons vs capability is really sad. My conviction was not over drugs, did not involve violence are any thing that would hurt the general public, and was in "89". Our ultimate goal is safety of and the advocation( is that a word) of the patient....patient (read not client). I was so frustrated with the system and the fact that if you answer honestly your resume gets dumped, that I volunteered to go overseas without pay and help out where I could. Patients (majority) do not understand doctorese (new language) and rely on us for translation. I met very good nurses that have blemishes in their b.g's. Same as me hard to get a job. But execellent skills and perception of patient needs. We have nursing mills in progress in most schools. Some but not all, are there for the wrong reason. I guess it condenses down to answering the question...Have you ever been convicted of a felony. It is an integrity question, wheather records are sealed or not, the question is black and white. I have decided that ..1) I was convicted of a felony 2) It can't be undone 3) I will try for the reform of some of the hoops and whistles that have to be observed before we can get a job. I urge you out there to continue to try. There is a need for good nurses who have overcome problems and realize the importance of what a mistake can mean. You are not quite as likely to have a reoccurence. And you really love that license. I personally had rather have someone working for me that had already made their mistakes and realized how important it was not to repeat history. . A patient wants quality care , compassion , understanding, and a lot of TLC. So I will keep working this end and you out there keep the hope, keep the faith, and DO NOT give up.
    Rick

:banana:
    I agree with this post 100% You would not believe how hard it was for me to find a job. I had many interviews and a lot of pats on my back.But when it came to actually hiring me they said "thanks but no thanks" (if you know what I mean. I finally got a job and believe in my heart I am one of their best nurses. I get random drug screens once a week so They don't have to worry about anything there.I do know however there are several nurses their who are diverting but they are blind to it. So I agree don't give up your license keep up the hard work it will eventually pay off. I was beginning to think I would never be a nurse again (It was over 3 years) and now I am doing great. Best wishes to all of you who are out there trying.

Quote Originally Posted by rnj454 View Post
    There is a need for good nurses who have overcome problems and realize the importance of what a mistake can mean. You are not quite as likely to have a reoccurence. And you really love that license. I personally had rather have someone working for me that had already made their mistakes and realized how important it was not to repeat history. . A patient wants quality care , compassion , understanding, and a lot of TLC. So I will keep working this end and you out there keep the hope, keep the faith, and DO NOT give up.

Unhappy Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

I posted some stuff on here that could be used against me. Let me thank rjn454 for the nice words. Folks are so tough on nurses most of the time. A nurse addict should burn in hell, I guess. I don't believe in hell, so that saves ME, but the rest of you guys need to keep your feet wet.

I will not give up. I may give up nursing, but not my life. I am more than an addict.

Castlor

Re: etg testing

Quote Originally Posted by CABAYRN View Post
    I have heard that there is a class action suit against Dr. Skipper? Does anyone know anything specifically about this? Thanks.
    Dr. Skipper has been called on to testify since he's one of the physicians involved in the Alabama Physician's Health Program (I don't know if he still is the medical director or not) and has been a strong advocate for establishing standards for minimum levels for a "positive" test. He has warned that using etg levels alone to discipline someone should not be done. He's one of the good guys based on the things I've read.

Jack
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by d-ann1 View Post
    beachnurse, I don't know how many ways I can tell you that having a sealed record has nothing to do with that question on your license renewal form. When I renew my license it ask about convictions or non-convictions (those types that will be suspended after completing so many years on good behavior).As a matter of fact, I have just recieved my notice to renew and I am sure that question is still there. I don't know what your renewal form says but that is one of the questions I have to answer every two years. I am trying to tell you that you are talking about two different things: Sealed records versus the National Nursing Registry. The courts are not the people that place you on this list; It is your State Board of Nursing.
    Having a record expunged or "sealed" does not mean the board of nursing or other licensing boards cannot find the information. Since these boards are charged with protecting the public, they are granted access to these records. According to the attorneys I've spoken with, the board won't use it against you (well, that's what's supposed to happen) unless you lie about it. Employers aren't supposed to have access to expunged records, but the FBI, police, and licensing agencies (nursing, medicine, etc.) have access.
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast