Thread: impaired nurses

impaired nurses

Any opinions on the length of the KARE program in Ky. Why 5 years when most states are usually 2-3 years. Does anyone else think this is a little long?

Re: impaired nurses

Quote Originally Posted by reese96 View Post
    Any opinions on the length of the KARE program in Ky. Why 5 years when most states are usually 2-3 years. Does anyone else think this is a little long?
    The American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Peer Assistance Advisor Committee recommends nothing less than 5 years and strongly recommends some sort of monitoring (random screens, documented support group attendance, and naltrexone) for the remainder of their professional career.

Substance abuse/chemical dependence is a chronic, progressive, potentially fatal disease. The disease never goes away and can be triggered at anytime without a proper recovery program/plan. It can even be triggered in those with with an excellent program.

The practice of nursing, medicine, law, and any other licensed profession is a privilege, not a right. Because the nurse has access to powerful mood altering substances, a safety net needs to be in place. When a recovering nurse relapses, the consequences are far reaching. One of those consequences is making it difficult for the next recovering nurse to get a job. Five years is definitely not excessive.

Jack
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The RAMP program here in New Jersey is a minimum of 5 years to my knowledge. I'll be an addict my whole life so the program here seems a little short to me. The reality is that addicts relapse and monitoring is required to PROTECT the public. My recovery is my responsibility. Practicing nursing is a privilege not a right.

I am also in ramp and agree it is a priviledge.

yay archstone

Five years it is sink or swim? I do think that it is a very frustrating program. I have been in it for two and a half years. I have my license's but no work. My problem had nothing to do with drugs in the hospital in fact they did not even carry it. I went and got help on my own for this problem and was reported in the treatment center which is one of our laws. Its a disease I agree with that and accept what it is. I don't hear anyone say suffer the consequences for having any other disease. Sorry you have diabetes it is a disease suffer the consequences of your actions because you didn't find out til later. I turned my life around and I am better for it. I am a single mom the enconomy is down and have no work. There have been people want to hire me but the company says no way. I feel if companies were so concerned why was I never drug tested but once every place I worked. There are a lot of nurses out there still using and in need of help and as long as they dont recognized it they do not get the help. They need more education on this matter in nursing schools. A lot of people don't even think it is a disease. They believe people have choices. I did have choices until I took my first drink of alcohol which is socially accepted. I did not know it would have led me down the path that it did. I would never change what I did and I am proud to be a recovered addict but I am so much more and have a lot to offer to helping others. I am afraid that I will not work until I have completed the program but I will not give up. Impaired nurses out there don't ever give up it might be rough but the main concern is staying clean and if people have problems with your past it's their issues with this matter not yours. Challenges in life is what makes you a stronger person and brings you closer to your higher power.

Wink Re: impaired nurses

Keep on trying to get work. Eventually something will turn up for you. Good luck with your sobriety and welcome.