Thread: Cleanliness is next to godliness

Cleanliness is next to godliness

Since day one, it has been instilled in us to clean our hands. I'll never forget the first day of clinicals. Forty grown people lined up to be taught how to wash their hands. The clincher was touching a petri-dish and letting it incubate. When I saw that I freaked.

Subsequently, I have made every effort to comply with the hand washing protocols. But as you all know, when things start happening, it is difficult to be perfect. Until now.

I really love the new alcohol based hand cleaners. I have never been so compliant with the hand washing protocols. I use it all the time, even when I'm just sitting in the nurses' station doing nothing. In fact I think I over use it. Could this be pre-OCD????

However, in this brave new world of MRSA and VRE one cannot be too careful. I'm just glad that someone came up with something that nurses can use. Now if they can get it so you can put gloves on after using it.

Re: Cleanliness is next to godliness

Yes, and I am told that the CDC says alcohol based hand cleaners are more effective against MRSA and VRE than soap and water. However, as you probably know, alcohol based cleaners DO NOT work against C diff .