Thought you CNA's would like this article: CNA training program provides entry to health-care career - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

In 1987, Diane Balmes took advantage of a nursing certification program called Project Chance, offered by the LaSalle Institute.

Balmes was married, but struggling to stay on her feet financially. She needed someone to take a chance on her.

Today, Balmes is a Winnebago County rehab Certified Nursing Assistant at River Bluff Nursing Home. While she takes care of some elderly patients’ more complicated needs, a class of 15 students is crawling through a similar window of opportunity thanks to the collaboration of three local entities.

Rock Valley College, Winnebago County and the Rockford Housing Authority have created a certified nursing assistant program for eligible RHA residents.

“I know what these girls are going through,” Balmes said. “I’ve been very impressed.”

In its first incarnation in October, 18 RHA residents began studying for CNA certification with a Rock Valley instructor at the RHA administrative office, 223 S. Winnebago St. The program includes full-time employment at the county’s River Bluff Nursing Home.

“Their tasks started with making beds and offering snacks and drinks,” said Pam Gentner, a River Bluff administrator. “Now they’re doing some of the lower-level CNA-type skills like helping residents who require lifting devices to move, bathing, dressing and feeding residents.”

If Jessica Butler, 24, wasn’t a full-time county employee thanks to the CNA program, she says, she’d probably be home looking for a lower-level job.

Each program enrollee works 40 hours a week at $8.50 an hour, plus health benefits. Once they earn the CNA certificate, participants are eligible for a pay raise and promotion.

“They’ve helped me get my career started,” said Butler. “I want to further it; I want to be a registered nurse.”

Butler will be among the 15 students who have stuck with the program and will graduate Dec. 9 with the rest of the Rock Valley College winter class of 2008.

The college, Housing Authority and county will continue the joint venture, as long as federal money is available.

The CNA program, along with other RHA career- and skill-building programs, are currently paid for by a $600,000 Resident Opportunity Self-Sufficiency Grant through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Butler hopes those resources will continue to be available so she can further her nursing training next year.

Dorla Bonner, program supervisor for the RHA Resident Services Department, says she has money to continue the eight- to 10-week program through the March session.

The program has become popular. Ten students who didn’t make it into the fall session and six other prospective CNAs are on a waiting list to join.

The collaborative program has plenty of benefits, said Carol Whitney, a human resources representative for Winnebago County. People like Butler are improving their lives with a free education. And Winnebago County is filling CNA jobs in high demand.

“I think this is a situation that’s very beneficial to us as an employer,” Whitby said. “We have such a high need for CNA and health-related issues in the county. This is a great use of everyone’s resources.”

While Bonner awaits word about additional government funding for the program in 2009, she’s looking for private donors to help pay for CNA curriculum, too. Call Bonner at 815-489-8594 or 815-509-8787 for more information.