From the Marshall Democrat: Marshall Democrat-News: Story: New MVC nursing program to be housed at Fitzgibbon Hospital

Missouri Valley College President Bonnie Humphrey and Fitzgibbon Hospital President and CEO Ron Ott announced Wednesday, Dec. 3, that the new MVC School of Nursing and Health Sciences will be housed in the lower level of the Buckner Wellness Center on the Fitzgibbon Hospital campus.

"I am very excited about the great opportunity this provides for Missouri Valley and Fitzgibbon," Humphrey said. "The establishment of a School of Nursing and Health Sciences will allow Missouri Valley to fully maximize our ability to impact the city of Marshall and surrounding areas in a very positive manner."

Last week, the MVC Board of Trustees announced the creation of a bachelor of science degree in nursing degree program that is slated to begin in fall 2009. The application process for the program is currently underway.

"I would like to congratulate Missouri Valley on the decision to establish the School of Nursing and Health Sciences here in Marshall," Ott said. "I know that President Humphrey and the faculty and staff have been working very hard to get this going and I look forward to the partnership and having the program on the Fitzgibbon campus."

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Missouri is currently experiencing a 9.5-percent nursing shortage and this is expected to increase three-fold by 2020 following national trends. In rural areas of Missouri, the nursing shortages are as high as 17 percent.

"We have existing health related programs in place that will be convenient for students when they need to do their clinicals," Ott said. "It is truly a benefit for Marshall and the surrounding communities to see we have an adequate number of nurses in the area."

Humphrey said this partnership is the beginning of a long-term relationship.
"I truly believe the residents of this area are very fortunate to have both quality health care and a quality institution of higher education partner in such a progressive program," Humphrey said. "The benefits of this association will last for years to come."
For information about admissions requirements and the enrollment process, contact the MVC admissions office at (660) 831-4157 or admissions@moval.edu.

Also related: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...program-34419/