Thread: Fall '05 I start ADN program. Worried and nervous

Fall \'05 I start ADN program. Worried and nervous

I am so busy already and am nervous that I will miss out on my kids lives and will not be able to handle it. How does a 41 year old, with 2 teens and a busy husband, go to school and work 24hrs/week as a nurses assistant. Will I have time to study? any advice that will calm my fears? I did very well will all my prerequisets, but I am nervous about it still.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Fall \'05 I start ADN program. Worried and nervous

Do you work full time? Nursing school sometimes has really crazy scheduling between clincal,classroom and lab. But it can be done. I did it when I was 38 with a 6 month old. It quickly became clear that a full time job for me was impossible since nursing school is a full time job itself. My husband and I talked about it and and We just tightened our purse strings for the two years I was in school. It's worth it if you really want to do nursing. My advice go for it! Study hard, never miss class and go after it. It can be done even if you have to work. Alot of the kids I went to school with did it (I get to call them that because they were 18 years younger than me).

Congrats I am also starting NSG school this fall in Virginia..Good luck to you all and take a deep breath...
    Melanie

It can seem overwhelming the first year. I am 56 and doing pharmacology during the summer between first and second year of an ADN program. I am fortunate that all my kids are grown and out of the house. But I think your kids are hold enough to help out with things while you persue your education. And maybe it's time for busy hubby to be busy helping you out so you dont feel your letting them down.It will be ok.

Have A Good Day And Be Safe

Jerry

It can definitely be nervewrecking. I am also going for my Associates for the RN degree. Each semester gets more and more busy. If you have a passion for nursing, it is very much worth it. I can't imagine doing anything else even with all of the stress. It will be over before you know it! Good luck!