Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employment help services

Employment help services

I am investigating a few differentstart up business ideas that are focused on helping nurses navigate the BON journey.

While there are many challenges involving all facets of life, the issues surrounding employment seems to be an area that is especially lacking in resources and advice and help.

If there were ebooks on "how to " job search, interview, write resumes, seek new avenues in nursing, etc, would anyone here be interested in buying these?

How about a employment coach/ agency/ headhunter service that would help find jobs and approach potential employers on your behalf?

Or any others ideas that anyone would pay for that would help them find work?

Re: Employment help services

I would definitely use those services if they were available.Please let me know if you've heard of any.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Employment help services

Quote Originally Posted by whome3 View Post
    I am investigating a few differentstart up business ideas that are focused on helping nurses navigate the BON journey.

While there are many challenges involving all facets of life, the issues surrounding employment seems to be an area that is especially lacking in resources and advice and help.

If there were ebooks on "how to " job search, interview, write resumes, seek new avenues in nursing, etc, would anyone here be interested in buying these?

How about a employment coach/ agency/ headhunter service that would help find jobs and approach potential employers on your behalf?

Or any others ideas that anyone would pay for that would help them find work?

THis is a good idea on it's face but the problem as I see it is that most nurses in diversion are severely strapped for cash and can not afford to pay for these services. In California you can't work for the first year, you pay close to $250.00 a month in fees (not counting treatment costs). I personally could not have seen myself spending more money on such a resource. The best resource we nurses have in recovery is other nurses in recovery, and the recovering comminuty as well. Most of my contacts which led to the truely wonderful job I have now came out of people I met in daily AA/NA meeting and my nurse support group.

I do have some connections with an extrememly diversion friendly hospital in the Southern California area and am always willing to share my experience strength and hope with anyone who asks.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    THis is a good idea on it's face but the problem as I see it is that most nurses in diversion are severely strapped for cash and can not afford to pay for these services. In California you can't work for the first year, you pay close to $250.00 a month in fees (not counting treatment costs). I personally could not have seen myself spending more money on such a resource. The best resource we nurses have in recovery is other nurses in recovery, and the recovering comminuty as well. Most of my contacts which led to the truely wonderful job I have now came out of people I met in daily AA/NA meeting and my nurse support group.

I do have some connections with an extrememly diversion friendly hospital in the Southern California area and am always willing to share my experience strength and hope with anyone who asks.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    I appreciate your input on this, and know that I also would not have been willing to spend money on this as a first resort, but if I had the unfortunate circumstances of not getting work after sending out resumes to many places, i would have considered it.

my focus is on those that post here, and the other boards that have met with no success and are looking for help. They often are not looking at all their options, or are looking at only jobs they feel comfortable in, or have bad resumes, or approach the employer wrong about their addiction, etc...

Many nurses lack computer skills, and have no idea how to look for jobs, or how to tweek their resume to their advantage and to sell their skills. Interviewing with a history is totally diffferent than in their past, and takes some practice and insight.

My idea is to look at thier resumes, see what their contracts say, look at their job experience, find out what they are telling people, etc.. and suggesting ideas that would improve their chances.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Employment help services

Quote Originally Posted by whome3 View Post
    I appreciate your input on this, and know that I also would not have been willing to spend money on this as a first resort, but if I had the unfortunate circumstances of not getting work after sending out resumes to many places, i would have considered it.

my focus is on those that post here, and the other boards that have met with no success and are looking for help. They often are not looking at all their options, or are looking at only jobs they feel comfortable in, or have bad resumes, or approach the employer wrong about their addiction, etc...

Many nurses lack computer skills, and have no idea how to look for jobs, or how to tweek their resume to their advantage and to sell their skills. Interviewing with a history is totally diffferent than in their past, and takes some practice and insight.

My idea is to look at thier resumes, see what their contracts say, look at their job experience, find out what they are telling people, etc.. and suggesting ideas that would improve their chances.
    You are totally correct in our needng to look outside our experience and comfort area when looking for our diversion and post diversion jobs.

In my own case I had been an L&D nurse. That was the some of my experience swaddeling babies, doing deliveries etc.... Then my world came apart and when I was finally approved to return to work I found that no one in acute or L&D would hire me. I was so desperate I went to the psych hospital where I had gone through rehab and put in an application.The DON met with me that same day. I actually cried during the interview. She offered me a job and I went to work learned how to be a the best psych nurse I could be and late when I finished diversion I found the job I have now - working with developmentally disabled adults. I love my job, the company I work for and my patients. I have referred several people to my old workplace and they have all been given a chance to recover in a friendly supportive workplace.

All that I have now would never have been possible is I had not been willing to try something completely different.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    You are totally correct in our needng to look outside our experience and comfort area when looking for our diversion and post diversion jobs.

In my own case I had been an L&D nurse. That was the some of my experience swaddeling babies, doing deliveries etc.... Then my world came apart and when I was finally approved to return to work I found that no one in acute or L&D would hire me. I was so desperate I went to the psych hospital where I had gone through rehab and put in an application.The DON met with me that same day. I actually cried during the interview. She offered me a job and I went to work learned how to be a the best psych nurse I could be and late when I finished diversion I found the job I have now - working with developmentally disabled adults. I love my job, the company I work for and my patients. I have referred several people to my old workplace and they have all been given a chance to recover in a friendly supportive workplace.

All that I have now would never have been possible is I had not been willing to try something completely different.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    I was restricted from working any job that had any access to narcs for my 1st year. I had worked for 18 yrs in clinical settings, started med surg, then CVSICU, then cath lab. My opinion of nurses who worked outside of the hospital was very poor, I did not consider those jobs to be "real nursing" jobs.
    In addition, I had very limited computer and typing skills, had no idea what a fax machine was, and my wardrobe consisted of jeans, and scrubs.

I felt totally unqualified for any job other then what i knew, and was furious with my addictionolgist for passing his recommendation to the BON and asking that it be in my contract. I was so jealous of the other nurses who were able to work in familiar settings.

I was hired by a large corp that did 3rd party UR and CM. They were thrilled to have me with all my experience and hired me despite my subpar skills. They required typing 25 WPM, I could only do 18 WPM ( and this was the best of 3 tries)

I also vowed to be the best UR nurse in my department and was just so thankful that someone had given me a job. I discovered that my ability to learn and conquer new skills carried over to this setting, and my orientation was decreased from 12 weeks to 6.

I also found confidence in my self and had the courage to try other jobs, and had much success.

I am so grateful that I was forced into the position I was. I have thought about this many times, and know that if I had not been restricted from clinical work that I would never have been open or willing to work in other setting.

When other nurses post about having problems finding work, I know that many are like me, and are not open to seeking options. I also believe that just responding to their posts with info like this is not very effective, for several reasons.

I think that if these nurses knew that they were getting help from a credible source is the first step, followed by working one on one, and getting an indepth idea of what they have done, what their resume is like, what they say,,, etc.

I recently got my RN license reinstated and I have a contract with HPRP in Michigan. Does anyone have advice in how to bring this up in a job interview? Where have you had success. This is very scary for me. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks

I don't think I could have afforded such an employment service. It sounds like a good idea to MAKE money, but not so good for those that have to pay for it.

During my diversion days, I worked in critical care. And, I too thought that any nurse outside of acute care wasn't a real nurse. So here I am, working as an MDS Coordinator and Charge Nurse in a long-term care setting LOL! The way I went about getting this job was, during the interview I was honest. The place that hired me was also desperate for help but that's beside the point

Also, I recently spoke with a DON on the phone as a pre-interview. I told her about my situation. She said "I appreciate your honesty" and asked me to come in for an interview!
    :rolleyes:

Something like that is so needed. I am so tired of having to deal with nursing boards. As soon as people look your name up on the list the board provides for all to see,you are a huge target! People see the word drugs and they can have a field day taking what they want knowing you will be blamed and never believed. Try living in RI. I think to myself sometimes and try to picture certain board members as nurses and can't picture it. They are such mean people, I don't understand it.
    Believe me or don't but I know for a fact that they enjoy punishing nurses.

cat16

I just wanted to tell you how happy I am for you!!!!
    That is so great,it gives me a little hope.

cat16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast