Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to all Pre-Nursing Students

Shout out to all Pre-Nursing Students

I just wanted to see how many Pre-Nursing students we had on the forum. Tell us about yourself and your program of study.

Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Re: Shout out to all Pre-Nursing Students

Well here's one you likely don't see very often.

I'm a 46 year old guy from west Tennessee who is seriously considering becoming a nurse.

I have run the gambit of jobs from back breaking logging work when I was a young pup to internet advertising which I currently do.

Now, I have to admit the career change is mostly out of self preservation.

I have had diabetes for over 10 years and had heart stents put in 4 years ago. I am dead in the water as far as health insurance goes and my only option would be to get a job that is in high demand and insurance wouldn't be an issue.

I have only just begun to look into what is required for a nursing career and am wondering if anyone has any advice.

Technically I am still pre-nursing student. I applied for FCCJ's ASN/RN program that begins this summer. I am applying for the evening/weekend group. They only accept 24 in that section. The spring cutoff was 196. I have 219 pts so I figure I will be fine! :banana:

Anyway....Dianne - 46 yo mother of 5/step-mom of 4. I have an Electrical Engineering degree from 1984. I have been programming Mainframe computers for the past 17 yrs and I am tired of getting laid off! I am also sick of sitting in a cubicle with a screen and keyboard for company! LOL Time for some HUMAN interaction!

I should finish the program end of summer 2010.

It is nice to meet you both, and I wish you good luck in your programs of study.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhuggard View Post
    Well here's one you likely don't see very often.

I'm a 46 year old guy from west Tennessee who is seriously considering becoming a nurse.

I have run the gambit of jobs from back breaking logging work when I was a young pup to internet advertising which I currently do.

Now, I have to admit the career change is mostly out of self preservation.

I have had diabetes for over 10 years and had heart stents put in 4 years ago. I am dead in the water as far as health insurance goes and my only option would be to get a job that is in high demand and insurance wouldn't be an issue.

I have only just begun to look into what is required for a nursing career and am wondering if anyone has any advice.
    Also, kjhuggard, your situation is a common one in TN. Many people, in light of our recent economic downfall are turning toward careers in healthcare due to their economic safety. Furthermore, usually about half of any given nursing class here in TN is typically made up of individuals 30 years or older.

Professors, and instructors such as myself typically prefer a class with individuals from the older demographic due to the fact that it sets the mood for the room and students are more likely to pay attention rather than sit around and goof off.

Trust me, you will fit in just fine.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Quote Originally Posted by RNmedicTN View Post
    It is nice to meet you both, and I wish you good luck in your programs of study.

Also, kjhuggard, your situation is a common one in TN. Many people, in light of our recent economic downfall are turning toward careers in healthcare due to their economic safety. Furthermore, usually about half of any given nursing class here in TN is typically made up of individuals 30 years or older.

Professors, and instructors such as myself typically prefer a class with individuals from the older demographic due to the fact that it sets the mood for the room and students are more likely to pay attention rather than sit around and goof off.

Trust me, you will fit in just fine.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Best of luck to you Dianne.

I personally never thought that at my age I would be changing careers, and I guess technically I'm not changing careers but adding a career.

The problem in this part of Tennessee is that the only jobs available were temp jobs and the companies that used temps would keep you on until the day before they had to hire you permanently, then lay you off.

Here's hoping our new direction solves some of these issues.

Good luck to you as well!

My father still lives in Sparta, Tn and has the same issue. He worked for a company for 31 years doing precision molding, then they went to China.
    Back in the 1970's you did not need a High School Diploma to hold a job. Now, having no High School Diploma, he can only get in on jobs based on experience, connections, or through one of those wretched staffing companies that keep you on for 6 weeks then let you go.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

I think all these young nurses thinking of making this their career, should be very careful with any substances you might ingest, smoke, whatever, because your whole education can literally be removed from you without a trial and then you and your family will be living on the streets. The nursing boards are not very understanding and if you are having 52 urine checks a year, at 65.00$ a piece, what is the chance of having a false positive.?? Your whole entire life depends on it.

Guess I am a pre-nursing student, since I have yet to hear back from ACC about my application. All pre-reqs and co-reqs are done, all immunizations are in, the ranking is computed, now I just have to wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast