Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Jobs For New Graduates?

Ricu

Re: No Jobs For New Graduates?

Hey Chris,

Congratulations! Getting a nursing job won't be very different from getting a respiratory therapy job, really, so take a second to savor your success and catch your breath.

Once upon a time, I was in management and had the responsibility of hiring so I can share a bit of insight from the other side of the desk particularly, on the subjects of resume writing and interviewing.

The best resumes I've seen are brief, focused and grammatically excellent. A resume need not be more than one or two pages. If you cruise the internet looking for different templates, you will find something that fits your style. Regardless of how you choose to arrange your information, do the next few things and you will be successful.

Use plain white paper and simple text like Tahoma or New Times Roman, DO NOT embellish with borders, pictures or colors, be careful not to over-exaggerate your qualities and never, ever lie. Once your resume is done, take the time to write a business style cover letter addressed to the nursing recruiter, by name. This letter is like a synopsis of your resume with a few words about why you feel you would be a good fit at their facility. Briefly detail your interests and work history. This is where you can feature your respiratory care experience. Be sure to express interest in the facility and specifically, the target area. As with your resume, take the time to write this letter well and be absolutely sure about grammar and spelling. About a week after you mail off the resume and letter, follow up with a phone call. If they don't offer you an interview, ask to come in for one.

The next area I'd like to cover is the interview itself. Show up a few minutes early and have a binder with you in which to take notes. Write down names, titles and any other details. Be sure to have several copies of your resume with you and offer them to anyone who attends your meeting. When the introductions happen, stand up, give a firm handshake(not dishrag or knuckle crusher), make eye contact and smile. When seated, have good posture and lean foreward slightly because it shows interest. When it's your turn to speak, don't be afraid to pause momentarily to form your thoughts and then, enunciate well. If you're self conscious, practice standing and speaking in front of a mirror. It will help you become aware of nervous habits and facial expressions that you aren't aware of.

Since you're accustomed to healthcare institutions, these statements will be "no brainers" but others may read this post and not know these things so, indulge me. Go neatly dressed in business casual attire. Women should wear office professional clothing, not evening wear, not revealing, conservative shoes and pantihose or stockings. Men can skip the tie if it will kill them but dress pants and a button down shirt are necessary. No slogan tee shirts that can be seen under the dress shirt. Make up, jewelry, tattoos and fragrance are next. Regardless of what the institutional policy is on these things, appear conservatively at your interview(s). That means no bold studs and rings in visible piercings. If you prefer to wear something, it should be conservative and limited to two; one in each ear. If you have a tongue ring that doesn't impede your speech and you aren't inclined to play with it, leave it in. Otherwise, take it out for your interview. Multiple-multiple rings, bracelets and neclaces are not appropriate for the healthcare workplace and should not be worn. Hair should be clean and conservatively groomed. Tattoos should be covered. Make up, if you wear it, should be minimal and fragrance should be avoided.

Finally, after the interview, follow up with a thank you note.

This may sound like a lot but believe me, these things are what will make you stand out- in a positive way. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck,

R

Thank You RICU,

I will keep all these things in mind. I will keep you posted on my success.

Quote Originally Posted by MICU-RN View Post
    Indeed.

Where I work I have seen my unit decrease in staff due to decrease in patients. Cut backs and double job duties. Hear others talk about friends or family who are out of a job.

Sad, but, true.
    Have to figure, who can afford to take three months off from work for a knee or hip replacement, and go without a paycheck for that same amount of time.

Most beds in a hospital are elective surgeries. If people are holding off them them, makes for a lot of empty beds.

When there are bills to pay, I tell my patients each day, I'm happy to be here and working. Know lots of people who'd love to be at work and able to pay their bills.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Ricu,

Thanks for the post. I too am a new graduate, have passed my NCLEX and am looking for a job. I'm finding that I am filling out lots of online applications and getting confirmation e-mails saying "don't call us, we'll call you". Just to give some info I've been looking since mid July and have found nothing so far and I have an associates degree.

Any suggestions about following up on these, or is it just a waiting game.

Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by DNight View Post
    Ricu,

Thanks for the post. I too am a new graduate, have passed my NCLEX and am looking for a job. I'm finding that I am filling out lots of online applications and getting confirmation e-mails saying "don't call us, we'll call you". Just to give some info I've been looking since mid July and have found nothing so far and I have an associates degree.
    When I graduated back in 1997, we were in the middle of a nursing "glut" and looked for a good nine months before I could find a job. Granted, I was working and being selective. Didn't want to work nights and wanted a hospital job.

There are lots of other options out there. I would hit the pavement and start in the yellow pages. If you've applied to all the hospitals in your area, look into clinics, nursing/rehab centers, doctors offices.

It boils down to what you're willing to settle for till things pick back up again. If you wait long enough, you'll likely get what you want. If you want to start working now, get that first year of experience under your belt, you might need to take what is out there.

Decide what your long range goals are, then decide which job while get you there.

Hope that helps,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by DNight View Post
    Ricu,

Any suggestions about following up on these, or is it just a waiting game.

Thank you in advance
    Hi DNight,

I will echo everything that Andrew has posted. Online applications are fast and easy and many can be done in a sitting but do "hit the pavement." Is there a particular place that you have in mind, a site where you did clinicals, maybe? Do you know a nursing manager who you might like to work for? Think about this and then write that cover letter, send the resume directly to an individual and call in a week. Because you applied online to a facility doesn't mean that you can't go in person.

Another thing that you can do is go to nursing education symposiums. This is an excellent opportunity to see what's going on out there and network so dress like you're going on a job interview. Cruise the vendor exhibits and chat those people up. Have a few copies of your resume with you and give them out. Take business cards and build your contact list. You may be surprised at what interests you. Have you considered sales and service? VNA? , Hospice? Assisted living?, What about dialysis? Are you in a position where you can or would you consider relocating?

Medical facilities are running on leaner staff right now. While there is a lot of appeal, fair or not for a lot of reasons, fresh grads are usually hired last. Yes, the job market is tenuous right now but look at it as a challenge, get creative and step up to the plate. Even in better times, the first job is always the hardest to land but you will do it. As Andrew indicated, that first job may be just to get in the door and after you have a little experience under your belt, it will be easier to move around and find a fit.

Keep us posted and, good luck.

R

Ricu,
    that is a fabulous post about applying for a job and prepping for an interview. I fully agree. As a Recruiter, even only for our small hospital here, I get many applications every day. I look at Nursing resumes and resumes for certsin key positions a little closer, but on the average, you have about 30 seconds to 1 minute for me to scan through your resume and decide whether it is worth a closer look or not.
    Great post!

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by tclema View Post
    Ricu,
    that is a fabulous post about applying for a job and prepping for an interview. I fully agree. As a Recruiter, even only for our small hospital here, I get many applications every day. I look at Nursing resumes and resumes for certsin key positions a little closer, but on the average, you have about 30 seconds to 1 minute for me to scan through your resume and decide whether it is worth a closer look or not.
    Great post!
    I appreciate the feedback, thanks

R

Facebook User

I will be graduating May of 2010 with a bachelors of science in nursing, does anyone have any suggestions where to go to find jobs. I have heard so much about being an "experienced nurse" but how am I supposed to get that experience with hardly any jobs available? I am willing to go anywhere, would love to be an OR nurse. .
    Thanks for any advice!!

hi Nurse 2010,
    I've seen postings for new grad for OR at Rutland Regional Hospital Vermont this past spring and summer. Keep an eye on there website spring time.( pay is good)
    Also, a few places in Florida are hiring new grads.(pay low but cost of living is kinda cheap and no state income tax)
    If you know of an area you would like to live, then, check out the hospitals websites or call the nurse recruiter and see what is going on for new grads.
    Things will change for you new grads.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast