Thread: No Jobs For New Graduates?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: No Jobs For New Graduates?

I can see where it would be challenging to find a job with new grads. It is hard. They have to be given the chance to be trained and oriented, which is hard because the patients and clients are sickers and more complicated than they used to be. So it is natural for the places to hire more seasoned nurses who can deal with that level of care. Orienting new grads can be hard because the regular staff is already overwhelmed, and doesn't really have the time to have someone following them around. It isn't fair by any means, but it is reality. I have done agency work, temp work and full time in many different capacities, which enables me to adjust fairly quickly to a new environment. But I can see where it is difficult to bring inexperienced nurses in to try to fill the staffing needs and having to train them as well. Let's hope this improves at some point.
    ruby43

Ruby, your points are valid and well taken, however, if the new graduates are kept away because of this, some bigger issues arise.

Even with a decent amount of orientation, you have those who will leave within a year or so. Some preceptors should not be precepting not because of not being compentent, but are not teachers.

What do you suppose be done?

Thanks for your reply in advance.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

New nurses need to be given a chance. If no one is willing to hire a new nurse, then there will eventually be no nurses in the future.
    As a relatively new nurse myself, I searched and searched and searched for a position. No one was willing to give me a chance. They all said "You don't have experience". I relocated to a different area and got a position, but they were dishonest, disorganized, and not concerned about the patients. Besides that, they scheduled me 3 double shifts back to back. That is setting me up for trouble. I am glad to