Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Jobs For New Graduates?

No Jobs For New Graduates?

The state of the economy is factoring in. For me working agency, pool, casual relief, etc. I'm finding that staff nurses are working as much overtime as they can (to keep up with bills, mortgages, etc). It's not leaving many hours to go around.

Melanie (my wife) has been seeing the same thing in the hospital ICU, etc. Can't blame people for working to pay their bills.

Have been hearing new graduates complain loudly that they can't find jobs, or need to work nights, off shifts, etc.

Nursing school graduates face uncertain job future"Like any new degree-holder, the nurses are worried about jobs. "Because of the economy, there aren't a lot of places that are hiring," Medina said. Even though the state has a nursing shortage, some employers have a limited number of slots for entry-level nurses because they cost more to train, Medina added. The economic downturn is also taking a toll on the school."
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...rsing1219.html

Working temporary, I've always followed the work, travelled farther, changed shifts.

Can see how others might be disappointed that they need to also.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: No Jobs For New Graduates?

Everything is impacted. This story I posted shows the impact: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...not-you-34786/ through budget cuts/freezes....

This story shows it through program cuts: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...mmunity-34675/

All interconnected.

Indeed.

Where I work I have seen my unit decrease in staff due to decrease in patients. Cut backs and double job duties. Hear others talk about friends or family who are out of a job.

Sad, but, true.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

People losing jobs = no insurance, going to hospital when deathly ill....

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    People losing jobs = no insurance, going to hospital when deathly ill....
    Very true, which increases medical costs, which increases insurance costs, whihc causes more people to have less insurance. It's a vicious cycle.

:nurse-soapbox:
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Quote Originally Posted by nursinghumor View Post
    The state of the economy is factoring in. For me working agency, pool, casual relief, etc. I'm finding that staff nurses are working as much overtime as they can (to keep up with bills, mortgages, etc). It's not leaving many hours to go around.

Melanie (my wife) has been seeing the same thing in the hospital ICU, etc. Can't blame people for working to pay their bills.

Have been hearing new graduates complain loudly that they can't find jobs, or need to work nights, off shifts, etc.

Nursing school graduates face uncertain job future"Like any new degree-holder, the nurses are worried about jobs. "Because of the economy, there aren't a lot of places that are hiring," Medina said. Even though the state has a nursing shortage, some employers have a limited number of slots for entry-level nurses because they cost more to train, Medina added. The economic downturn is also taking a toll on the school."
    Nursing school graduates face uncertain job future

Working temporary, I've always followed the work, travelled farther, changed shifts.

Can see how others might be disappointed that they need to also.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory
    My wife an I are already talking about leaving where we are and moving once I'm done with my RN this summer. I'm looking to get a job with the VA once I'm done so I have job security and only have 15 yrs to retire since I already did 5 yrs in the Navy.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

I can see where it would be challenging to find a job with new grads. It is hard. They have to be given the chance to be trained and oriented, which is hard because the patients and clients are sickers and more complicated than they used to be. So it is natural for the places to hire more seasoned nurses who can deal with that level of care. Orienting new grads can be hard because the regular staff is already overwhelmed, and doesn't really have the time to have someone following them around. It isn't fair by any means, but it is reality. I have done agency work, temp work and full time in many different capacities, which enables me to adjust fairly quickly to a new environment. But I can see where it is difficult to bring inexperienced nurses in to try to fill the staffing needs and having to train them as well. Let's hope this improves at some point.
    ruby43

Ruby, your points are valid and well taken, however, if the new graduates are kept away because of this, some bigger issues arise.

Even with a decent amount of orientation, you have those who will leave within a year or so. Some preceptors should not be precepting not because of not being compentent, but are not teachers.

What do you suppose be done?

Thanks for your reply in advance.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

New nurses need to be given a chance. If no one is willing to hire a new nurse, then there will eventually be no nurses in the future.
    As a relatively new nurse myself, I searched and searched and searched for a position. No one was willing to give me a chance. They all said "You don't have experience". I relocated to a different area and got a position, but they were dishonest, disorganized, and not concerned about the patients. Besides that, they scheduled me 3 double shifts back to back. That is setting me up for trouble. I am glad to

I am hearing that quite often too. However, we just hired a few New Grad's in, it's a good mixture of seasoned Nurses and New Grads. Just not everybody wants to move to Lawton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast