Thread: What all do I need

Question What all do I need

Hi, Ive been trying to find some information on what degree's or certificates I need to become a male nurse, or to even get started in this type of work. It probably sounds pretty stupid, but I know theres more than just one type of nurse, from traveling to military. I was reading around and seeing you can become a surgical nurse? What all do you do in that field? How do you get started? What degree's do I need? Is 18 to young?

Hope I'm not bothering anyone, Ive been real interested in nursing for a while but I couldnt ever get over the fact of how some of my friends or family would think of me being a "nurse" but I've gotten over that, and I want to do what I feel is best for me and something I'll enjoy.

Thanks.
    Joey (JoJo)

Trying to learn about this field.

Re: What all do I need

Anyone?
    Joey (JoJo)

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I'd say focus first on 'getting your feet wet' as a CNA. The schools around me want students to have been a CNA before starting clinical.

Most states want you to be 18 at time of licensure, and if you're in an ADN program.....

As for certification....well, you may change your mind half a dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    Anyone?
    Go to your local college that has a nursing program and talk to an advisor.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Here is a list of the available specialty areas in nursing in which you can pursue, along with a description of each.

Nursing Careers - Discover Nursing

Also, please keep in mind that there is no such thing as a two year nursing program. You will spend 1 year on pre-nursing and 2 years on nursing.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Well, the 2 year 'was' a 2 year back in the day......

Hey thanks everyone, I'm thinking if I should sign up and try to get my 4 yrs bachelor as an RN? Would anyone recommend I call one of the local hospitals and ask them how I could possibly get into something with them or possibly be some form of assistant or helper, or what I would need to do to get a job with them as any kind of nurse and work my way up? Is it possible to be starting school but work in a hospital trying to become a nurse? Like I said, ive been tyring to do some homework and learn more about this. I'd like to try and become a surgical nurse? Working in the OR/ER helping doctors and surgeons with operations and working with the patients before/after/during surgury.

Thanks! Hope that made sence!
    Joey (JoJo)

The first thing you need is a good strong constitution.
    Next you need an unabashed need to help people.
    Then you should be secure in your ability to take the harshest of criticisim.
    After that if you have good study habbits you may be ready to look into Nursing as a carear option.

Speeking from a male perspective, you have be able to endure some hardships women don't face, some elderly persons (some not so elderly) will ask the "?" "What, are you gay or somthing?". This isn't an every day thing, but about every six months it comes up, usualy with a new Patient or family member. Some can be rather crule.

If you think you can handle this you have a good chance for success.

As for what "certs." to get, try not to limit yourself just yet. As you go through school you will experience different areas in health care, some that you don't even know exsist as of today. Make your mind up then, My own personal pick for a choice place to work changed several times while in school, and just because you want to work in an area of healthcare dosn't meen you will get a job in that field fresh out of school. Some places want you to have 6months experience in med-surge, cardiac, ect:::: ET-ALL.....

Keep your mind open and go talk to the advisors at your school of choice to find out how you start the "RIDE OF A LIFETIME". This ride will take you to Happiness, Fear, Dispair, Uncertanty, Joy, Pain and several other destinations you have yet to dream of, and if you need help on this journey I think that you have found a great resource in this forum to aid you in your quest to become a Nurse.

I have never regretted my decision to take the plunge, I held on for dear life as I was swept into a whole new world of discovery.

GOD'S SPEED and good luck.:shades_smile:CHARLIE LPN
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.