Thread: Scared New Traveler

Scared New Traveler

Hello Everyone... My name is Ashley and I have been an ICU nurse for the last 2 years. I am wanting a change and I think traveling might be the change I need. I'm 24, single, and no kids so I have no excuse not to travel. The only thing holding me back is myself. I'm scared to move to a place where I don't know anyone. It's only 13 weeks though, right? I was particularly interested in traveling to San Diego-- I have heard good things. I would appreciate any info that you all can give me about traveling. Thanks and have a good day!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Scared New Traveler

Welcome! I was also scared to start traveling, but I have been doing it for over 2 years now with no regrets. I have worked in San Diego before, was at Kaiser there in the ER for 6 months last winter. I LOVE San Diego! Anyways, my best advice is to just do a LOT of research before you hit the road, and find a few recruiters from different companies that you feel comfortable with. PM me with any specific questions you might have about San Diego or traveling in general..... (to PM, click on my name, then click "send private message")
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Re: Scared New Traveler

Traveling can be intimidating. Working in a new facility, with new people, new rules, politics.

Remember my early days of working local agency, going into new facilities would get my adrenaline pumping and butterflies swirling. With time it gets better.

Now after doing it eight years plus, you find every facility is basically the same. You learn to recognize the people that will help you and answer questions, and the ones you are better off leaving alone.

It usually helps to learn from the experiences of others. You may find useful information in our travel section of the forums.
    http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f7/

Most issues from finding you way around, to negotiating with your agency to finding housing have been covered there.

Wish you the best!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/traveler