Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBDS Test

PBDS Test

I am supposed to take the PBDS test for the OR. Does anyone have a study guide?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: PBDS Test

Welcome to the site!

See these posts: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f7/pbds-tests-26286/

http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...testing-21592/

Do a search of the site, and there are other related posts.

BTW....thread moved.

'Cat'

I see the conversations re: this test Does anyone have any experience with OR and this test?
    Also, if it can only be taken once a year, does it transfer to other hospitals or only those in the system?
    I believe my recruiter told me all HCA's require it. Any others?
    Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

It's not specific to HCA- I worked at a non-HCA facility in FL and had to take it, and I have worked at 2 different HCA facilities in FL & TX, and have not had to take it yet for HCA. It really depends on the hospital. Whether or not they will count your passing score from another facility also depends on the hospital- some will accept your passing score from another facility, some won't. I ALWAYS ask my recruiter if an assignment requires PDBS, if it does, I won't let him submit my profile to that facility.

I passed it once, but refuse to take it again. For one thing, it was not designed to be a pass/fail test, but that is how it is used with travelers. And getting a contract cancelled for not passing can cost a traveler THOUSANDS of dollars..... It' not worth it to me.... If more travelers refused to accept contract that required it, maybe if would be done away with...

As far as I know there isn't a specific OR version. I know for sure there is a med/surg version and a Peds/NICU version. Might be an L&D version as well. I work ER, and had to take the med/surg version.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Yea, I had to do the PBDS testing for one hospital I took a contract with, and it was specific to L&D. It just sucked b.c. I didnt even know I had to do the testing (and that my contract would be cancelled if I didnt pass) until the first day of orientation. Thank goodness I passed, but I noticed there were some travelers who were there the first day of orientation and after the testing I didnt see them again.
    Im going to start asking too if a hospital requires it, and if so I not going to submit my profile there either, the testing was pretty brutal.

I don't know anything about med/surg Barely OB for that matter. I've been in the OR for almost 30 yrs. I freak out when I'm required to take med tests, If they tested me only on the basics and math I'd be okay. Or the 5 meds I'm familiar with in the OR. I always have to study before changing assignments just to reassure myself.
    How do I send you my email to get a study guide? I'm new here.
    Thanks for all the tips and unless the assignment is just too perfect, I'll refuse also.

I just wanted to thank you, Amanda, your study guide helped...I passed the dreaded PBDS! But I don't ever want to take it again....

:nurse-hang: It almost killed me!

I have to take the PBDS for Arlington Memorial in Texas. Anyone have a study guide for the Med/Surg version? :nurse-rofl:

I took the PBDS (ptsd) test 2 weeks ago. It took a while to grade - 3 days - and they gave me no "JUMP TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE" because I was a traveler. So I couldn't rent an apt because I didn't know if I had a job or not. Hotels are expensive. I had friends in the area so it wasn't too bad for me. But, again, I had to wait to start working.
    The test was not hard. You just have to be on your toes. And fast. They show you a scenario and then you point out dx,good things, bad things, etc. I made quick, illegible notes and did great.
    It was more stressful not knowing and not having a place to live. I think it's good for a year or so at any HCA facility. Not sure about that.
    But, don't worry. It's not hard. Just be hyper-critical

As i posted previously a while back, if ALL of us travelers REFUSE to accept assignments where this ridiculous test is required, then the test would soon cease to exist. In meeting more travelers at my newest assignment, i have heard from those who experienced it that at best the test is ridiculous - at worst it is cruel and judgmental toward the nurse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast