Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diverted at work and almost died

Re: Diverted at work and almost died

I went through treatment the 'old fashioned way' in 2001, and left my career as an anesthesiologist-- I really believe that had there been Suboxone then, I would still be able to work as an anesthesiologist (now I'm a psychiatrist). I have been watching for cases where someone took on a licensing board over the issue, but have seen none so far.

If you do end up challenging them, and are looking for an advocate to support staying on Suboxone and forgoing standard treatment, let me know. I can't say I recommend doing that-- my own experience with the boards, and from watching friends in the process, has taught me that the best approach is to say 'OK-- absolutely' and do what they say. I was disciplined by the board in Wisconsin, and they treated me fairly-- considering how sick I was. But I always did exactly what I was told to do-- including over THREE months in residential treatment at $15 K per month. Sold our vacation cottage to afford it-- but if I wanted to stay a doc, I simply had no choice.

Good luck-- You will find that time truly does fly once you are in recovery. I can't believe all of my 'stuff' happened 8 years ago already!

Jeffrey T Junig MD PhD
    Fond du Lac Psychiatry

And my sites for Suboxone info-- please link to them if you find either one useful:

Suboxone Talk Zone and Sober After Suboxone

I just lost my job to diversion. I will lose everything. I don't know what to do. I called to self refer to the Diversion program and don't know if I will lose my license. I'm scared. I am clean..it has been 3 weeks. I don't know how I'm going to take care of my kids.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Diverted at work and almost died

Quote Originally Posted by 09896star View Post
    I just lost my job to diversion. I will lose everything. I don't know what to do. I called to self refer to the Diversion program and don't know if I will lose my license. I'm scared. I am clean..it has been 3 weeks. I don't know how I'm going to take care of my kids.
    All is not lost and you haven't lost everything - A psychiatrist can put you on disability and you can usually collect for 1 year but don't wait. Also get into treatment now. The board will demand you do AA/NA so start today! Do 90 meetings in 90 Days. This will help your recovery and go a long way with the board - trust me I know from experience. Don't fight the board just do what they tell you. Also don't eat or drink anything or take any otc meds that you don't know the ingredients for. There are lists of foods to avoid on this site but send me a private message and I will forward it to you along with other helpful tips. I have been through this successfully completed Diversion last October been sober 5 years now.

This will become a blessing for you and you will work as a nurse again.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    All is not lost and you haven't lost everything - A psychiatrist can put you on disability and you can usually collect for 1 year but don't wait. Also get into treatment now. The board will demand you do AA/NA so start today! Do 90 meetings in 90 Days. This will help your recovery and go a long way with the board - trust me I know from experience. Don't fight the board just do what they tell you. Also don't eat or drink anything or take any otc meds that you don't know the ingredients for. There are lists of foods to avoid on this site but send me a private message and I will forward it to you along with other helpful tips. I have been through this successfully completed Diversion last October been sober 5 years now.

This will become a blessing for you and you will work as a nurse again.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    Hi
    I have some serious questions for you...

I have not heard from the Diversion Prgm as of yet, but I'm told that I'm in the system and that I'm safe...in regards to my license. I just didn't use pills, I was using Fent and alot of it. I also pulled Fent without a M.D. order. I am afraid that I will go to jail and the diversion program will not except me. I told all of this to the Diversion intake person and she stated that I meet all the criteria for the program...I just wanted to know if you had any advise for me...

Thank you..

By the way...clean for 1 month....yay.

Wow, I can't believe it's April already. What a road it's been so far. I had my first DEC in February. I should have taken the advice of my Diversion worker and came off the Suboxone. The board HATES Suboxone. Their view is that as long as you are on that medication you are still using. I was doing so well in my program, following my doctors instructions to a tee. Taking Suboxone as prescribed, attending AA/NA meetings as well as Intensive Outpatient, Nurse to Nurse support groups and submitting to random drug testing. My Diversion worker told me to stop the Suboxone, but my Psychiatrist wouldn't taper my dose, and was angry that the board was trying to prescribe medication through coercion. At my first DEC, the board asked me if I would be willing to stop the Suboxone. I replied that I was only taking it as prescribed by my Psychiatrist, board certified in addiction medicine. I informed them that he was tapering my dose as indicated but he was unwilling to provide the board a “set in stone” taper schedule. What a mistake that was. I was told I had to enter a residential treatment facility for no less that 30 days and “detox' off Suboxone in 5 days. Mind you, I had been taking Suboxone off and on for 3 months! Well, I complied, and went through the worst hell I ever experienced, rapidly stopping Suboxone with no PRN's! I didn't sleep for a week, had all the symptoms of severe opiate withdraw, but managed to finish the program without difficulty. When I got out, I had a completely different attitude. I was angry and resentful that the board overstepped it's mandate. I felt they put me in rehab to punish me. My social worker from my outpatient program, my Psychiatrist as well as the in-patient Psychiatrist all felt that I did not need inpatient care, but they were willing to work with me to satisfy the boards requirement. My insurance company on the other hand was unwilling to pay the $11,000 bill unless I agreed to go to a “Recovery Home” for 3 months after treatment! I fought this for a while, but soon learned to work the system. I “agreed” to go to a recovery home, and was put on a waiting list. When I graduated the program I still had not been given a room, but once I was out, I no longer called to check on bed availability. Since to maintain my insurance through COBRA would cost me $1,400/month, I dropped my insurance and went on welfare. My State Disability ran out in March, and my Long Term Disability won't start till the end of June, so my income is now 00/month! Luckily I had a good tax refund which covered my rent and expenses for the 3 months of no income. As it stands now, I am still going to all my daily meetings and my nurse to nurse support group weekly and 2 hours of “aftercare” once a week. I call daily for random drug testing which costs about $60.00 every time my number comes up. All in all, I have nothing to complain about at this time. All my needs are met. I don't know how long I will be on disability or where I will work when it all ends, but I can't resolve those issues at this time so it's back-burner for now. I'm really having cravings for drugs though. I realized that my drugs use just didn't work anymore, but that being said, it DID work for a long time. Now I am experiencing the feelings that drove me to use in the first place. My emotions used to be completely in my control. If I felt depressed I did Opiates. If I felt lazy I would do Cocaine. If I was bored I would take LSD or Mushrooms. For great sex it was Ketamine or Ecstasy. Now I have to experience life as it comes, dealing with random feelings and emotions that no longer are easily controlled. I know the 12 step program will help with this, but I'm still very resentful about what happened and am just going through the motions to be in compliance. I hope my attitude will change soon since being so resistant only makes it more difficult. My addiction is always in my head telling me how easy it would be to fake a urine test. I haven't done that, but there is not a day that goes by that the thought doesn't cross my mine. I think some of the problem is all the “down time” I have now that I'm not working. Anyway, I just thought I would drop a line and update everyone on my progress or lack thereof. Thanks for so many good replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12