Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

Been lurking around here for a few days so I thought I'd introduce myself. I've a travel nurse since 2002 with the exception of the few moments of insanity when I actually took a perm position only to realize the error of my ways. Most of my travel has been in the East coast, Fl, Md. and currently I am in central Ca.
    I have traveled mostly with one company. I'm looking to possibly change as I have the feeling I'm being short changed. With the economy the way it is, I need all my nickels.

Looking fwd to networking.:nurse-hang:

Re: Hello everyone

It's nice to meet you RNCMSN, make sure to check out our weekly case presentations, chatroom, and travel nursing section. I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Quote Originally Posted by RNmedicTN View Post
    It's nice to meet you RNCMSN, make sure to check out our weekly case presentations, chatroom, and travel nursing section. I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
    Thanks a bunch. So far I'm liking it. Nice credentials :nurse-beer:

Well, they are mostly instructor certs(ACLS, PALS, BLS, PHTLS, etc.)

The only true credentials are: Critical Care Paramedic/NREMT-P, RN BSN, and BS NeuroScience as my MSN, FNP/ACNP is still in progress.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Quote Originally Posted by RNmedicTN View Post
    Well, they are mostly instructor certs(ACLS, PALS, BLS, PHTLS, etc.)

The only true credentials are: Critical Care Paramedic/NREMT-P, RN BSN, and BS NeuroScience as my MSN, FNP/ACNP is still in progress.
    Hey Rule #1, don't minimize your accomplishments. Being a trauma flight nurse is in itself worthy of kudos.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you with us.

'Cat'

How is the Kaiser "traveler" gig work? Are there other hospitals creating their own "seasonal" nurses? I know the Methodist system in Dallas is doing it but I don't know any concrete details. I really don't mind contracting myself out.
    Traveling does make it difficult to stay in shape = mentally and physically. Just about the time I learn my way around a city and enroll in something interesting, it's time to leave. Unless it's obvious, of course.
    Don't ya'll wish there was a National Board of Nursing?

We used to think the same thing in EMS, then we got the National Registry of EMT's, now things are twice as confusing. Be careful what you wish for.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Quote Originally Posted by ppanchorage View Post
    How is the Kaiser "traveler" gig work? Are there other hospitals creating their own "seasonal" nurses? I know the Methodist system in Dallas is doing it but I don't know any concrete details. I really don't mind contracting myself out.
    Traveling does make it difficult to stay in shape = mentally and physically. Just about the time I learn my way around a city and enroll in something interesting, it's time to leave. Unless it's obvious, of course.
    Don't ya'll wish there was a National Board of Nursing?
    Yes. I wish there was one place where job seekers and nurse seekers could post their needs and list the total compensation package offered. It would avoid lots of searching, haggling and could actually match the right position with the best candidate. I've tried places like career builder but not everyone uses them and $ is rarely mentioned.

Many hospitals are now offering their own internal contracts, float pools and/or seasonal employment. Maryland is one such state that now has a registry putting a cap on traveler wages. I lost $10/hr when I renewed a contract at the same place after they joined the registry.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

You know, RN....Aaron (AKA 'the boss') does post job listings he gets on this site.