Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial contact.

Initial contact.

I know just as nurses form opinions about assigned recruiters on the first contact, recruiters do too. I'm curious to know what are some of the key things you look for in that first phone conversation with the "new recruit". Are there particular questions you look for a certain response to? Is there one or two things that make you decide that you will go beyond the usual effort to find a position for that person?

Re: Initial contact.

Personally, I look for someone who is ready to start - not sitting the fence or tire kicking. I also look for someone who knows exactly what they want as far as housing, pay rate, benefits, which geographic locations they would like to work in, scheduling, etc. so that I know exactly which hospital(s) they should be presented to and which ones aren't what the nurse is looking for. If they are new to travel nusing, I like questions. Everyone should know exactly what they are getting into.

I agree with Kelly there, I look for someone who is up beat and ready to go. Someone who is willing to submit any and all info right then instead of waiting a week or so to get around to it. That just makes us think they're not interested. I also look for someone who is a talker. Shyness doesn't really go well in traveling, we need people that are willing to go anywhere and talk to anyone.

What about the nurses who might be looking into this for the first time? These replies would put me off. You sound like you "only" want experienced travelers so what will you do when you run out of these?

Not at all! Actually most of my nurses that I place are first timers. Whether you're an experienced traveler or this is your first time shouldn't effect whether or not you are excited and eager to go. I just enjoy speaking to people who know what they want or at least have a clue. They generally submit all the info asap and give you all their important info on the spot instead of waiting for days or even weeks! So I'm not just recruiting experienced travelers, come one come all!

Hey sweetheart what a great question to ask! When someone calls in whether they are a seasoned traveler or a first time traveler, I want to listen to what they need. If they as a first time traveler are not sure what to ask, I explain this is what you need to ask others. My concern is it's is occassionally hard to test a tire kicker. I try to make sure the nurse recruit knows exactly what I can do for them as well. Is it fantasy or reality, if I am not in the area they need to go I refer them out I ask if it's okay to market, based on timing of course. We all know that the market place id extremely different right now and many must hurry up, and then wait. My theory it's all about you and what you need, if you are not ready for 3 months, so what, good planning on your part. Kim Lawrence Director of Recruitment Across America Med Staffing 1-800-887-4045 Kimacrossamer@aol.com www.acrossamer.com Where we listen to you!

I also look for nurses who are confident, outgoing, and ready to travel. It is important to me to form good relationships with each and every traveler because I will be talking to them weekly, if not more often. It always makes a great impression when a nurse is organized and able to produce all necessary paperwork and health records. Please feel free to call or email me with any and all questions, I would be glad to help!!

Have a great day!
    Amanda
    TravelMax
    ameldrid@travmax.com
    P 888-800-1855

Hi!
    For the past year, my wife and I have been planning on traveling. We are still approx 9 months away from fruition (we're waiting for my son to graduate high school), but we have contacted several agencies, talked to recruiters, and discussed benefits with them. Have we "put them off" regarding my initial contact? Any red flags to be aware of? Is January too early to nail down agencies for travel in July/August of 2004? What's your view of applying to multiple agencies? Whew!!!

Thanks so much,
    Chris

I wanted to talk to nurses about their options not just in traveling. I have recruited for all avenues in the medical field and what throws red flags up for me is when I respond to nurses whether travel or permanent positions and they live in a rural area, not willing to relocate, yet are wanting a contract or position less that 30 miles from their home. They are out of work for whatever reasons and don't understand why? Hello?

Can I please get some nurses to respond?

Amber Hooper
    TRG Medical
    214-245-7942

Hey, thanks for asking. That was a good question,was interested in the replies too. I am also just exploring the possibilities of travel nursing. I have talked to a couple of agencies and at first realized I did not ask enough and called back or emailed. Noone seems to be put off by that, I think if you don't call or contact they preceive it as not real interested.

Recruiters, do you like to be called every week or two to see if anything has showed up in the areas that the prospective traveler (us) are interested. Rather than the traveler always sitting back and waiting on you to call?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast