Great question for new travelers. I think the best thing to do when you call in to a recruiter is to be open and honest about what you are looking for. I have no problem talking to nurses who have never traveled before and have questions concerning the process and jobs. It becomes frustrating when a nurse tells you they are interested and wants to be submitted but never returns my calls. Just let the recruiter know if you are tossing the idea around or are ready to start on a specific date. I also tend not to invest as much effort for nurses who aren't willing to give me their contact information or even resume. Names and numbers are easily passed over for jobs but resumes make you stand out as someone who is serious about taking an assignment. It is also great when a nurse tells me they are open to go anywhere in their state instead of 100 mile radius. It's difficult to meet nurses' needs when they look for specific locations, so just try to be as open to different possibilitites as you can. Also, go with recruiters that are receptive to you. I have many nurses who tell me horror stories about other agencies that were rude or demanding to them on the phone. You don't have to bend over backwards for a good recruiter, they will try to work to meet your needs.
Cindy Yates
Medical Contracting Services
800-388-5581 ext 112