Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inserting The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Inserting The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient

Luckily, I have dealt with the geriatric population. Whole different ball game, there.

Dare I even look at that video?

Personally I can not believe that they put this on you tube and that people are actually looking at it.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teeituptom View Post
    Personally I can not believe that they put this on you tube and that people are actually looking at it.
    Compared to some things that show up on the internet I guess that's not so bad. THis reminded me of Nursing school when we taped our clinical testing. I think I even recognized the dummy.

NormalDude79

ok this will obviously be a dumb "typical male" question, ive seen a cath go into a patient so fast ive never seen how long the tubes actually are (im not a RN) i usually see it being rammed in 1/2 into the procedure. so question is, is the cath long enough for the more endowed male patients or do they come in various lengths?

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by NormalDude79 View Post
    ok this will obviously be a dumb "typical male" question, ive seen a cath go into a patient so fast ive never seen how long the tubes actually are (im not a RN) i usually see it being rammed in 1/2 into the procedure. so question is, is the cath long enough for the more endowed male patients or do they come in various lengths?
    Foley catheters come in one length- and they are plenty long enough to accomodate ANY size patient.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

NormalDude79

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    Foley catheters come in one length- and they are plenty long enough to accomodate ANY size patient.

I asked at the ER last night, they havent had a problem with length, just um thickness of the tube and patients refusing.

Member Extraordinaire

Yes, foleys come in different thicknesses, but the size has nothing to do with penis size. The standard size for an adult (male or female) is 16 french. For children, you would use a smaller size, for adults who have a dilated urethra from long-term catheterization, you'd use a larger size.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by mercedes522 View Post
    Curious ~ How many female nurses have encountered a male patient that was uncomfortable about a female nurse inserting a catheter - and how do you deal with this if it is a problem? What if there are no male nurses available to do this - is the doctor called to do this - what if the patient gets too upset about it, how do you calm him down - or do you just leave the room ??? Does it ever work to just keep on talking to him until he gives in - or - ??? Does the question of male modesty come into it - or,perhaps is it a matter of embarrassment or an incvasion of his privacy ??? Would like to hear something positive on this subject ???
    As a male I can assure you if we want a male nurse we want a male nurse-why is that so hard to fathom? I don't see why men have to justify our request-

AMEN!....And why is it so difficult for nurses of either gender to understand that it is not about them,men and women both varry in their degree of personal modesty.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

I hear you

In the town where I lived there was a family that was middle eastern from the Druze religion (not Muslim, Not Christian) They are forbidden to have anyone of the opposite sex who they are not married to touch them. They came to our facility because we understood their needs. We arranged to all female or all male care staff when one of them was hospitalized. Not such a big deal when we didn't let our ego's interfere.

Peace

Hppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12