Thread: done wrong by supervisor

Angry done wrong by supervisor

I called in sick in a timely fashion. Had N/V x2days also diabetic and was extreamly ill. nurse manager was on call so she had to work. She called me at home @ 1100 am and demanded I come to work. She also threatened me with suspension or loss of full time status. This is just wrong anyone have a comment?
    Thanks Softwillow.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: done wrong by supervisor

Question or two here: #1. They know you're a diabetic? #2. Did you notify your PCP about the N/V?

Yes they did. And it was on a Saturday. Unable to locate PCP.

Ricu

Hi Willow,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your supervisor. Ordinarily, this should be a no-brainer, it sounds like you were really sick. That said, I can't help but wonder if there is a pattern unfolding. Let me be the devil's advocate for a minute here, what has been your history of sick calls? It's been my experience that people run into trouble when they have a habit of calling in. Diabetic people should have no problem maintaining a regular work schedule if their condition is well controlled.

Thoughts?

R

Hi Ricu
    In answer to your questions I am a well controled diabetic and rarely call in sick. I often stay late waiting for my releif to show up, and usally come in on my day off if one of my co-workers are sick. I had to take medical leave a few months back due to a surgery I was out a month but I did give 2 week notice proir so they could find a replacement for that time.
    The problem that Sat. was that my supervisor was on call that weekend and was mad because she had to come in. When she called me at home demanding I come to work she stated she had a life too and had made plans! In my opinon as long as she is getting on call pay if she is working or not she had no right to force me to come in! Thats why she makes the big bucks right? Also it was the hateful way she spoke that hurt my feelings and made me mad! She also knows I have a hard time keeping my BS up when I can't eat. I actually was at work with the same symtoms BS dropped to 54 she brought me a coke to bring BS up and asked me if I wanted to go home because she new I was feeling bad. Go figure!
    So again I repeat I think I was done wrong. That for your input and allowing me the chance to vent!
    :nurse-soapbox:softwillow

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by softwillow View Post
    Hi Ricu
    In answer to your questions I am a well controled diabetic and rarely call in sick. I often stay late waiting for my releif to show up, and usally come in on my day off if one of my co-workers are sick. I had to take medical leave a few months back due to a surgery I was out a month but I did give 2 week notice proir so they could find a replacement for that time.
    The problem that Sat. was that my supervisor was on call that weekend and was mad because she had to come in. When she called me at home demanding I come to work she stated she had a life too and had made plans! In my opinon as long as she is getting on call pay if she is working or not she had no right to force me to come in! Thats why she makes the big bucks right? Also it was the hateful way she spoke that hurt my feelings and made me mad! She also knows I have a hard time keeping my BS up when I can't eat. I actually was at work with the same symtoms BS dropped to 54 she brought me a coke to bring BS up and asked me if I wanted to go home because she new I was feeling bad. Go figure!
    So again I repeat I think I was done wrong. That for your input and allowing me the chance to vent!
    :nurse-soapbox:softwillow

If your sickness history is sparse, your supervisor was definitely out of line. Calling you in to work when you are sick sounds like harassment. Good luck

R