Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working full time during school

Re: Working full time during school

I have 2 kids and I am a single mom, I know that working full time and be a mother is very difficult but I will share what I am doing I found some test banks for some classes and That help me tremendously. I still have some if you have troubles with any class send me an email to **PM for e-mail** and I can share it with you.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes you can work and make it through nursing school and have a life, you have to be organized though.
    I raised 2 kids(single parent), worked and graduated with high honors from ADN program, not easy but I didn't notice that working as a nurse, raising 2 kids and having a life is much easier.
    My solution was working as a waitress in a supper club. short, evening hours, good tips. Some instructors did badger me to be working 'in the field' as CNA or nurse tech. Do what you need to do. For me it would have been foolish to give up working 20 to 25 hours a week (mostly weekends) and earning full time type wages. I did also use student loans but consider them a good investment. best of luck to you.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

OK; we're nearly at the end of the semester. What's going on with you, 91b?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    OK; we're nearly at the end of the semester. What's going on with you, 91b?
    LOL, I sent 91B my thoughts on this subject a while back but never heard back from him? Anyway, here is my previous PM and maybe 91B will see here?
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage work and school? I had read in one of your posts that you had your two boys and a full time job while in school. We keep hearing all of these stories in school about how you can't work and go to school at the same time. I say stories, since the department has never, at any time published anything official about the subject.

Any advice? Tips, tricks anything? I keep hearing that the amount of time we are going to have to commit to the patient care plans prior to our clinic rotations is huge.

Steve
    91B

Hello Steve,

My apologies for the late reply. Best to reach me at cary.barrett@us.army.mil

Yes, I was a single parent with two sons while in ADN program. I worked odd hours [total 32 hrs/week qualified as FT for med ins.] as an OR Tech around my nursing program schedule. Plus, most of my ADN clinicals were at Seton Medical Center the same place where I worked as an OR Tech. The Seton OR is open 24/7. My body clock was in continual flux. I had NO free time with working, school, and full-time father duties.

I noticed most of my classmates that were able to work while in nursing school worked in some type of healthcare related field. Or, they worked where there schedule could be very flexible. I became very good at managing my time. I even had one of my sons very active in sports which involved coordinating transportation.

Again, I was a single parent and my livlihood depended on my success in the program. I was very driven & motivated. Sometimes sleep was more like a hobby than a regular routine. Later, I went on to complete UTMB Galveston's School of Nursing RN-BSN online program while working 40hrs/week as an OR RN at Seton.

Hope this helps.

I would like to Know how he is doing, especially since he lives near by me and is an Army veteran.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Sorry about the absence from the forums folks. Things got a bit crazy between finishing up the semester, and trying to work enough to cover the bills in this wonderful economy.

I am still waiting to hear from the nursing Dept about my application. Everything was in order, they accepted the app, now I am just waiting to see if I start the clinical rotations next semester. If not, I will take a few more classes that I will need when I take an ADN to BSN program. The word is supposed to come down any day now. They said somewhere around the 1st, so I am just waiting to see.

So kind of in a holding pattern at the moment. The stress is not horrible, but between waiting to hear what my status is, and dealing with some lousy income due to the economy, things could be better.

And Cary, I sent a message to your "work" email, sorry about the delay in replying!

Ok, little update to the last post. May 7th is the day they send out the acceptance letter. That was just posted to the Departmental website about 45 minutes ago. At least I now have a date and can try and relax a bit till then.

Thumbs up Re: Working full time during school

Quote Originally Posted by 91B View Post
    Sorry about the absence from the forums folks. Things got a bit crazy between finishing up the semester, and trying to work enough to cover the bills in this wonderful economy.

I am still waiting to hear from the nursing Dept about my application. Everything was in order, they accepted the app, now I am just waiting to see if I start the clinical rotations next semester. If not, I will take a few more classes that I will need when I take an ADN to BSN program. The word is supposed to come down any day now. They said somewhere around the 1st, so I am just waiting to see.

So kind of in a holding pattern at the moment. The stress is not horrible, but between waiting to hear what my status is, and dealing with some lousy income due to the economy, things could be better.

And Cary, I sent a message to your "work" email, sorry about the delay in replying!
    No need for apologies, my friend. I was just worried. Glad all is good. BTW, answered your email & hope we can meet up in Buda soon.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Oh, lord! Put out the alert if/when you two meet up. We'll do clean up. :nurse-rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Oh, lord! Put out the alert if/when you two meet up. We'll do clean up. :nurse-rofl:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast