Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would anyone mind helping?

Would anyone mind helping?

Hi,

My name is Mary Ann Copp and I have been assigned to write an article on nurses and drug abuse for the April issue of RN magazine. I am looking for information on how nurses should proceed if they think they have a drug problem, are confronted about diverting, the recovery process, and how they can retain or regain their licenses. I can keep identities confidential if necessary, although RN, because it is peer-reviewed, prefers to have names in most instances. Obviously, the editorial staff recognizes this is a sensitive subject.

This article is not to be sensational, but helpful. How large a problem is this, why does it happen, how should facilities protect their patients while assisting their staff get help?, etc.

Thank you for reading this.

Please contact me through this thread.

Smile Re: Would anyone mind helping?

I may be willing to help out, but would like to know more about RN Magazine. What is their website? Phone number? Thanks.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Smile Re: Would anyone mind helping?

I would be willing to help with this as I belive it's an important subject but like the previous poster would want some verification of who you are writing for. Our anonynity is very important to us. While the profession is becoming more enlightened to this problem there's still a lot of misunderstanding about the disease of addiction.

HPPY

Re: Would anyone mind helping?

I am looking for information on how nurses should proceed if they think they have a drug problem, are confronted about diverting, the recovery process, and how they can retain or regain their licenses.
    If a nurse thinks they might have a drug problem, it is most certain that they probably DO have a drug problem.

While I don't believe there is any set way to go about getting help I can say what I believe is the right thing for them to do.

First, they need to seek treatment and assistance with recovering from their problem. Depending on how bad their problem is they might want to start by attending AA or NA meetings and/or other support groups. If they need more immediate assistance or feel they are putting themselves in danger then they need to either discuss their problem with administration and take advantage of any programs that their facility might offer it's employees or they need to see about checking themselves into a rehabilitation program whether it be an in house program, or a part time program.

That part is tricky, because a nurse's biggest fear is losing their nursing license or having it suspended. Many nurses are hesitant to admit their problem for this very reason. No one wants to voluntarily surrender their license and they certainly don't want it to be taken away.

If a nurse is confronted for diverting the best thing to do is to find out what his/her options are and then admit to diverting if they ARE indeed diverting. In this case the nurse might want to seek out legal counsel. If they are diverting, they are going to be caught and they are likely NOT going to pass a drug test so lying about drug use/abuse or diverting is not going to benefit them.

As part of the recovery process a 12 step program, staying the course of treatment, and finding a support group online like the one in this forum are very important.

An online support group like this one is very effective because it can be a supplement to regular group meetings like AA or NA. Since it's online, it never closes. Someone is always here for them to talk to or listen to, or just here to listen to them get out their feelings.

A lot of people have sought out assistance in this forum and many, many more have browsed through reading others' experiences.

My suggestions above are only my opinion of course. I have never sought treatment for drug or alcohol dependence or abuse and I have never diverted so I cannot speak from experience.

Hopefully someone with some experience in the process can respond to assist you or someone on the other side of the aisle with experience helping nurses in this situation can share their thoughts.

Re: More infor on RN magazine

I can understand anyone's reluctance to respond without due diligence on their part. Below is a link to an article I did last year for RN magazine. It basically took a research paper and crafted the paper into a broader article. The article, blood products used in open heart surgery, is now posted on RNweb.com. The site can also provide you with information about the magazine itself.

http://rn.modernmedicine.com/rnweb/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=502761

I have most recently written an article on legal nurse consustants, which is awaiting publication.

Thank you for your reply and consideration.

Mary Ann Copp
    Writer, RN magazine

Hi Mary,

I'd be more than happy to speak with you. I sent you a private message as well.

Jack
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Question Re: Would anyone mind helping?

hi nurse writer, I am willing to help with anything ( almost anything) you may need. I would love the public to realize that addiction isnt just the junkies on the corner begging for money. feel free to email me and I will give you my contact info.**PM for e-mail** good luck

Hi Mary,
    I would be willing to share some information with you. Contact me at: **PM for e-mail**

Diane

I have been a subscriber to RN for as long as I can remember. I usually read entire magazine as soon as I get my copy. Whatever I can do to help....

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

NursingWriter.....I just came across your story, and I thank you for the article. Here is a link to the article, and post I have made regarding your story: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...590/#post67897

I hope that you stop by more often!

'Cat'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast