Thread: IV question please help

IV question please help

Okay i have a few questions. my mom and aunt via three way calling called me with a question.

My Aunt's ped patient has a IV in her shoulder and they flush it with ethanol flush. why with that?

This is the pt diagnosis

2 yrs old and on lipids and tpn.

Hirschsprung's Disease
    Definition

Hirschsprung's disease, also known as congenital megacolon or aganglionic megacolon, is an abnormality in which certain nerve fibers are absent in segments of the bowel, resulting in severe bowel obstruction. It was first identified in 1886 by a physician named Harold Hirschsprung.

what i found on the net talks about lipids...but it just confuses me. Can someone simplify it for me

and number 2 IV in a shoulder? is that because she is a peds pts? i don't mess with peds so i didn't know the answer of that either
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: IV question please help

IV in shoulder, as that is a large enough vein to handle the IV 'load'. (The lipids, etc.)

Ethanol will prevent/preclude any clogging of the IV fluids. Ethanol is an alcohol derivitive; they are adding that to gas out here.

Re: IV question please help

okay...so its in the shoulder because of a bigger vein...thats what your saying?

i had heard something about the ethanol works better because of the lipids? is that correct?
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~