Hey! Guys! You gotta read this one: More Men Turning to Nursing Careers

In this economy, it's tough to find recession-proof jobs. Now, the face of the nursing industry is changing and it is men breaking the glass ceiling.

"A lot of guys are afraid to go into nursing for whatever reason. ... When they actually get into it, they realize that this is where they needed to be," said Henry Ford Community College Associate Dean of Nursing Katherine Howe.

The numbers tell the story. Back in 2003, the percentage of men in the nursing program was at nine-percent. In 2009, that number is double and expected to grow because there is such a demand.

"I was looking for something that was in demand, couldn't be outsourced very easily and had comperable pay," said Bill Porter.

In 2006, Porter saw the writing on the wall. He took a buyout from General Motors and started studying an industry where there are not enough workers. A shortage of 18,000 nurses is estimated by 2020.

Jeff Beuckelaere used to work for Nissan and is glad he left the company. "I wish I would've did it a long time ago," he said.

Both men graduate in may of 2010 and plan to enter a career they say is exciting as it is rewarding. "I work on a very sick floor and to see those people go from critically ill to eventually walk out of there is really satisifying," said Beuckelaere.

When it comes to facing the stigma that nursing is just a female profession, "I don't know that I'm necessarily worried about that too much," Porter said.

If you're interested in the nursing field, Henry Ford Community College is hosting a non-traditional seminar for men in healthcare careers on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (313) 845-9617 or visit www.hfcc.edu .