Thread: Need Advice!

Exclamation Need Advice!

I have been going to DePaul University for the past 2 (almost 3) years to get a bachelors in vocal performance. I knew from early on that it wasn't the career path for me but kept trying to make it work for fear of dissapointing myself or others. I have finally (better late than never!) come to the conclusion that I just cannot continue on this path that is making me miserable!

I know that when I am done at DePaul, I will go get my associate's degree in nursing (and then find an RN to BSN program and work my way from there). I know that there are accelerated BSN programs, for people who already have an unlrelated bachelor's degree, however, as a music major, I didn't have to take any science, so I would not be ellgible. Does anyone have suggestions on where I could get my associate's in Chicago? I'm currently looking at Truman. I need somewhere not too terribly expensive, as DePaul has sucked all of the money out of me.

Also, I know that this is ultimately my decision, but I wanted to get some input... Since I have decided 100% that I will not go on with my music career and intend to become a nurse... Should I finish my last year at DePaul? I would for sure finish out this year (my junior year) but I don't know if it is worth taking out another 20,000 in loans just to finish a degree that I have no intentions on using... I'm sure no one in the nursing field could would in the least that I have a Bachelors of music with a concentration in voice... But at the same time, I'm sooo close to finishing!

Any advice is helpful! I just want to make sure that I have my ducks in a row before I make any decisions.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Need Advice!

I would say go to Truman! As you said, why take out more loans? And if you decide to get that degree in Music, you can do so later on, can't you? And as for finishing at DePaul, do they have a BSN program for when you go for your BSN? I know SXU has a BSN completion program (when the time comes....)

By the way, welcome to the site! Be sure to be counted in the IL State Forum.

'Cat'

Thank you very much for replying! I have been leaning towards not finishing the degree, because as you said, I can always finish it if I decide to. And yes, there is an RN-BSN program at DePaul.

I haven't had a chance to go in and talk to Truman (doing that tomorrow morning) but i have done a lot of research. They said that they pick students based on a lottery... Do you know what that means? Is it random?

Also... I read that when you get your liscence you have to tell of any physical or mental illnesses... I was treated for depression as a teenager (15-17 years old). Will that be a problem?

Thanks again for your reply! I am so excited to be making this change! I just want to make sure that I do everything right.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Depression shouldn't be a problem; one of my ex co-workers is being treated, and has no problems.

As for the lottery...no idea. I did the LPN to RN bridge at SXU.

Again, glad to have you with us, and hope you stop by and peruse the site often. We'll be here for you.