Thread: Available position for nursing students

Available position for nursing students

I will be starting nursing school in the fall of '09. I was wondering if there are any positions open to nursing students in the hospital.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Available position for nursing students

Unit secretary, registration clerk, CNA, Patient Care Tech, Phlebotomist, Pharmacy Technician....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Thank you for responding. How long before you can start these types of positions?

When I was in nursing school, I worked as a "nurse extern" which is a position that is for nursing students. I shawdoed and assisted a RN, mostly. It paid better than a CNA position did, and the hours were flexable around my school scheldule, becasue the point of the program was to teach a nursing student how a nurse prioritized and worked in the hospital setting, so that when you graduate you will be inclined to take a psoition with that hospital. The requirement was that I had to have finished my nursing fundamentals course, BLS certification and I had to work 16 hours a pay period (every 2 weeks). Most hospitals have similar programs, just call human resources and ask, some places call it an internship also.

When I was a nursing student they had nurse intern positions for students in their second year. Pay was alittle more than a CNA but you could do nursing tasks if an RN was with you.

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by newnursetx View Post
    Thank you for responding. How long before you can start these types of positions?
    Most of these are entry-level positions, to be a CNA, you need to get certified, which you can do through a short class at your local community college-something you could probably do this summer before you start school.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

In East Texas both ETMC (nurse tech) and Trinity Mother Francis (nurse extern) have programs that allow nursing students after your 1st semester to work as a PCA. ETMC's program (which I am a part of) also moves you to nurse tech II after your second semester working under a RN and you take patients you don't pass meds but you gain alot of skills in assessments, charting, and pt care. Wonderful addition to school, lets face it you never get enough time in clinicals to gain experience in tasks. Might want to check with hospitals in your area. Nothing like having more time in the hospital setting with experienced mentors showing us soon to be newbies the way!:nurse-clap: