Thread: 2 men turn nursing to their advantage

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

2 men turn nursing to their advantage

Another good sign: Two men, laid off, turn to nursing with success / Your Severe Weather Station, South Bend, Indiana News, Weather, Sports, Notre Dame News, StormTeam 16

Demand for nursing positions is expected to rise in coming years. One man, in his 20’s, worked construction. The other, in his 40’s, worked in a factory. After losing their jobs, they chose careers in health care.

These days, Bryan Urgonski makes his rounds at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center’s intensive care unit.

His job is certainly “hands on,” much like his previous career.

But it’s fair to say the tools of the trade have changed.

“I just mixed the mortar, built the scaffold, take orders from the bricklayers if they needed something,” said Urgonski.

Even in his mid-20’s, Urgonski says working on a construction site took its toll.

“I was waking up in the morning, not only was my back hurting, my shoulders were hurting, my knees were hurting," he said.

Still, a job was a job – until it was no longer there. In 2005 he was laid off, and enrolled in a nursing program at IUSB.

Urgonski made the transition to nursing early on, if you compare his story to Wayne Dockery’s.

Dockery worked in a factory for most of his adult life. In his early 40’s he lost his job, and looked into nursing.

“I never pictured myself going into health care,” said Dockery. “When I started my classes, there were some of my classes, it was like taking a foreign language.”

He’s been working as a nurse for more than 15 years, and says the job security is comforting in times like these.

"It's a very steady and rewarding career to be in,” said Dockery.
    Re-invention, it seems, is possible at any age.

"Never too old to learn," said Dockery.

Re: 2 men turn nursing to their advantage

LOL, great article, glad I caught it. "Never too old to learn" you can say that again

Facebook User

Wow! It happend to me, too. I was laid off from my job and decided to have a career change. And become a male LPN. But, my training program is asking me to do 2 informational interviews with LPN and answer following questions.

• What is the labor market demand for this job?
    • What skills, education and previous experience are required?
    • What will be starting pay in first year and in fifth year?
    I talked to people from nursing home and hospitals. But, they said they were busy.

Can anyone help me?

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    Wow! It happend to me, too. I was laid off from my job and decided to have a career change. And become a male LPN. But, my training program is asking me to do 2 informational interviews with LPN and answer following questions.

I talked to people from nursing home and hospitals. But, they said they were busy.

Can anyone help me?
    Try posting your questions in the LPN forum- you might have better luck.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Cool Re: 2 men turn nursing to their advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post

Can anyone help me?

I am an LVN. These answers are based on my experience.
    1. Labor market demand: Fair. Better for those who have experience, you might have to relocate to find a job.
    2. Some employers will hire somebody right out of school with the only consideration being that their license is in good standing. Others look for experience, especially for specialty jobs. The more experience a nurse has, the better chance of getting hired. All want the minimum education, e.g. graduation from practical nursing program.
    3. In my area, the pay is pretty much the same for one year and five years out. The average is $18-$20 an hour. Many employers are lowering their pay rates to $15-$17 an hour.
    Hope this helps.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I will copy the post to the LPN Forum, with only minor editing. Least I can do, as a former LPN myself.