Thread: Sick of SUPER NURSE

Sick of SUPER NURSE

Hi all, I haven't posted in a very long time however I need suggestions on how to handle this "super nurse". Every time I work with her, which is once a week she plays this this role to the extreme. She is a RN and I am a LPN, med/surg. I ususally have 6 to 7 pts, and she is the PPC and has 2. Until May (then I will have my year in to be able to push IV meds) she is to push IV meds on my patients. I pull the med from the pyxis, I get the Saline Flush, and what ever else she needs to do this, and even write her a sticky note and places this info at the computer she usually sits at. I do everything but push the med, which I can't wait until I get to do, because she pushes meds in less than 20 seconds, no matter what the med is, paying no attention to policy and procedures. Last night she yelled at me, telling me from now on I need to hunt her down to push the meds. Ya know I am sick and tired of hunting her down. It isn't my job to pull these meds for her or anything else of the kind, I do this trying to lessen the load on her. She WON'T allow the LPN's to call the doctor, SHE has to call the doctor. But this is only if she thinks it is warrented. And 9 out of 10 times, she will find a reason to NOT call doctor. Last night she practically told me NOT TO GO into MY Patients room. The patient had uncontrolled pain that SHE WOULD NOT ADDRESS with the doctor. The family putting on the light every hour or more often for pain control, and when the patient had difficulty urinating and would not use a urinal she yelled at me and said he could not get up PERIOD to use the commode, and when I suggested a call to the doc for a foley, she flipped, yelling at me again that she was not calling the doc at 0300 for a foley cath. Forget that he had not voided in the last six hours because she would not allow him to get up assisted to use the commode. I could go on and on about the crap she has done, but there just isn't enough space here for me to do it. What should I do? She is in her early 20's I am in my late 40's. I have been a nurse for 10 years and I am a good nurse. She also talks about all her coworkers (which are suppose to be her friends as well), name calling...b*tch, sl*t, turns every situation around to suit her needs, etc. Totally immature. I have always been told a nurse who "KNOWS EVERYTHING IS DANGEROOUS".

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Sick of SUPER NURSE

Has anyone else had any problems with her, or complained?

Things have been mentioned, however with her being a PCC no one would want to have problems with her. Just like myself, I just do what she says and go on.

I have had similar problems with a fellow travel nurse before. She was coming in on 7p and I had the same patient load she was taking for the 7a shift. One lady was nursing home resident with multiple decubs, that were all ordered bid and prn, well at 1800 i did the prn dressing chages to her bottom becasue she had to be cleaned up, but I used all of the ordered cream to do them with, so I called pahramcy to deliver some more. the brought in and put in into the pharmacy in bin on the counter at the nurse's station right before report, so I never took it to the patient's room. the next am when i took the patient back over agian, the cream wasn't in her room...guess where I found it? You got, at the desk, unopened. so, i checked the dressings on her heals, gues what i found there? my kerlix wrap with my name and date from the prior am still on. I was hot. This nurse likes to sit around and talk about how great a nurse she is, and talk about how fearless she is to MD's, but apparently doesn't ever actually DO anything. I swear if I hear, "I have more experience than most people in doing that becasue I worked in California," one more time I'll scream. She retimes am insulins to be given at 0800 (the hospital gives it at 0630 becasue thats when breakfast trays are delivered), she doesn't clear her iv pumps, she doesn't do dressing changes, she claims people were pain free all night that have tell me as soon as I walk in the door to their room that they have been asking for pain meds for 3 hours. one morning I walked on the floor, looked at the assignment board to see which pt's I had, she walked up to me and asked if I was going to have a certain pt, I said "I guess so." and she hands me a printout of stat labs from 30 minutes before then and said you need to call these! Stat labs that are already past time on a patietn that I havn't even had report on!