Thread: Age 41....Registered for pre reqs

Red face Age 41....Registered for pre reqs

Yipes! I made the leap after 13 years of "thinking about it".

I work full time, 5:00 am to 1:30 pm. Have 2 tenns a nd a 4 yr old at home.

Can my brain handle it?

There are so many young nurse at the hosp. where I work. Hard to actually see the shortage.

Please offer encouragement!!!

Thank You all!

****o TessaJetta,

You can make it! I was 40 when I went to LVN school, now at 44, I'm in my 2nd semester of a 3 semester LVN to RN transition program. It is hard, sometimes it makes me wonder if it is all worth it, but I think it is going to be well worth it in the long run. Think of it this way, you will be the same age in say 3 years whether or not you go for it. Good Luck! and hang in there!

Julia

Thank you

That was my first post. I appreciate your encouragement.

You Can Do It

Hey Tessa, I'm 56 and just started my second year of a 2 year ADN program and work full time as well. Like Julie said, It can be hard at times, but you have to keep focused on the long term goal. And I have a lot of younger people ( see how I refrained from using the word kids ) in my class, and it actually gives me a better perspective on my goals. Just alwasy remember why you wanted to do it.

Be Safe And Keep The Faith

Jerry

Re: Age 41....Registered for pre reqs

I am 41 and am finishing up the last of my "redo because it's been so long since you were in college" courses and I plan on not stopping until I have my masters. I'll be 46 when I am finished. I work full-time, go to school at night, have a teenager at home and sometimes feel like I meet myself coming and going. But I keep on trucking and I just take it one semester at a time.

Hi! You can definetly do it! I finished an accelerated BSN (1 year) in August and at least 5 people in my class (30 students total) were at least 40 years of age, with families and kids just like you. The oldest person was 53 and she was the first to take the NCLEX and pass! It is a big committment, you will make sacrifices, use all the help you can from your family and friends and keep at it! Good luck!

43 yr old here.

im a paramedic at an ems agency (think firefighter style shifts 24 on 48 off minus the fire truck). i was an army medic for 20 yrs prior to this job.

and now im looking at starting my pre reqs this summer for the medic to RN fast track

age has nothing to do wth nursing school. why my decision to change careers?

1. not much chance of upward mobility in current career field unless one is a fire fighter.

2. medic- done it , got the tshirt.

3. more career options as an RN.

4. get paid for my knowledge /skill base a lil better.

5. utilize experience from previous careers.

6. im bored. i need a new challenge.

7. changes at my current employer are not optimal to longevity at same.

8. scrubs. and wrking in a climate controlled enviornment.