Thread: reality check

reality check

ok, are you seeing in increase in available jobs or are we really in trouble here? i am now on week 5 looking for a position. I know that most of the agencies get the same jobs so am not one to go to 10 different agencies. I am amazed at the "promises" some of the agencies are making about jobs. but where are the jobs right now? how hard is it going to get to find work? it is a bit concerning to not be able to find work. i am even looking for perm jobs at this point. this is just crazy.
    please talk to us honestly and dont promise anything.

Re: reality check

Where are you looking and for what position? I am seeing the same thing here in NJ...

hi dawn,
    i have been a nurse for 17 years. i have extensive med/surg with branching out in ER, PEDS, and mother baby.
    i have worked 2 bed ER by myself in smaller hospitals but not in the bigger ones. i am looking for anything at this point. it is insane out there. i even got put in for a position in a jail that is how crazy it is. but with so many nurses fighting for the same job it is really getting outrageous. i dont think it matters what agency you are with cause they are all fighting for the same spots out there. i cant believe that one agency has a hold on positions but if there is an agency that is placing RN's faster then email me. i need to go to work. i am 5 weeks out of work now and i am worried.
    what is your specialty?
    i have a compact license and still cant find work. i cant believe it. it is just as hard to find a perm job out there.

You might try looking for a regular permanent job, or one of the agency staffing jobs. I've met people who stay busy with staffing agencies. Big difference is that you're in the same area. Good luck.

There are needs out there and they are moving. Flexibility with shift and location is key. Be persistant and follow up with agencies often. I would choose 3-4 agencies you really like and focus on getting your application as complete as possible and presentable/marketable. Don't give up, you'll find something!

Erin Ramsey, MS, CCC-SLP
    ATC Travelers/ATC Healthcare
    (Office)866-562-7667 x8015
    (Cell)918-798-2802
    (Fax)918-286-1829
    eramsey@atchealthcare.com
    www.atctravelers.com

one question? if i am with 3 or 4 agencies, am i getting submitted to the same jobs too many times? can i be submitted for a job more than once with more than one company? it gets confusing. i already am very flexible. i even was put in for a job at a prison. so far from trauma for me LOL.. but i need to work.
    we shall see.
    but please answer the above question for me. thanks

Member Extraordinaire

I would not allow multiple companies to submit you for the same position- that can be irritating to managers and they may throw your resume in the trash.... Keep track of which specific facilities you've been submitted to, and by which company, so you don't get double-submitted for any assignments.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

thanks,
    so the agencies dont mind that i am with more than one. I know that most nurses are with more than one agency. so i will try to decide which agencies to go with as there are good and there are frustrating.
    thanks for your advice.

I personally do recruitment for perm positions and we have seen a big shift in nursing recently. I know it has been discussed here before, but it feels like hospitals have been able to get a way with only offering full time jobs and cutting agency nurses recently. Additionally, they have become much more selective with who they hire because, as you said, competition is fierce. There are places hiring however. If you still need assistance, I would love to speak with you about this. My company is currently working with a handful of hospitals hiring quickly for full time positions. Feel free to touch base with me about this when you have a chance.

Connor Bartley
    Team Leader
    Martin, Fletcher
    877 782-5989
    cbartley@martinfletcher.com