Thread: How does one get selected to be on a Forward Surgical Team?

How does one get selected to be on a Forward Surgical Team?

Hello,

I'm 30 and currently in an ASN program and will graduate and take the NCLEX to get my licensure in Georgia at the end of summer semester 2010. From there, I plan to work in civilian nursing for a year while I do an online BSN program (haven't decided which one yet, but I'm leaning toward UNC-Chapel Hill: RN-BSN Program @ UNC Chapel Hill's School of Nursing). At any rate, I should have a BSN and a year of nursing experience under my belt by the end of 2011, which is when I'll be looking to go into military nursing. I'll be 32 at the time.

So far, the aspects of military nursing that interest me the most are flight nursing/aeromedical evacuations and the Army's forward surgical teams. More specifically, the airborne units like the 250th FST at Ft. Lewis (I'd love to be able to go to airborne and air assault school).

However, there seems to be precious little information available on the internet about how one actually goes about qualifying for and being selected as a member of a FST.

Is anyone here on a FST or knowledgeable about the process of getting on one?

For my civilian work experience while I'm getting my BSN, should I just do a year of med-surg or would it be to my advantage to try to get into ICU or ER nursing right off the bat so I can go ahead and get my ACLS and critical care experience?

Any advice anyone has to offer someone currently in nursing school with aspirations of becoming a member of an airbore FST would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS (Do the Navy and Air Force have anything that is analagous to the Army's FST as far as providing medical support closer to the front lines and giving you an opportunity to work in a more unconventional role as far as military nursing goes and afford you the opportunity for specialized training like airborne/air assault, or is that something that is pretty much unique to the Army? I've googled but so far haven't found anything.)

Re: How does one get selected to be on a Forward Surgical Team?

Quote Originally Posted by UGADawgs View Post
    Hello,

I'm 30 and currently in an ASN program and will graduate and take the NCLEX to get my licensure in Georgia at the end of summer semester 2010. From there, I plan to work in civilian nursing for a year while I do an online BSN program (haven't decided which one yet, but I'm leaning toward UNC-Chapel Hill: RN-BSN Program @ UNC Chapel Hill's School of Nursing). At any rate, I should have a BSN and a year of nursing experience under my belt by the end of 2011, which is when I'll be looking to go into military nursing. I'll be 32 at the time.

So far, the aspects of military nursing that interest me the most are flight nursing/aeromedical evacuations and the Army's forward surgical teams. More specifically, the airborne units like the 250th FST at Ft. Lewis (I'd love to be able to go to airborne and air assault school).

However, there seems to be precious little information available on the internet about how one actually goes about qualifying for and being selected as a member of a FST.

For my civilian work experience while I'm getting my BSN, should I just do a year of med-surg or would it be to my advantage to try to get into ICU or ER nursing right off the bat so I can go ahead and get my ACLS and critical care experience?

Any advice anyone has to offer someone currently in nursing school with aspirations of becoming a member of an airbore FST would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS (Do the Navy and Air Force have anything that is analagous to the Army's FST as far as providing medical support closer to the front lines and giving you an opportunity to work in a more unconventional role as far as military nursing goes and afford you the opportunity for specialized training like airborne/air assault, or is that something that is pretty much unique to the Army? I've googled but so far haven't found anything.)
    Sorry, I don't have first hand knowledge on FST units. I would think an FST assignment is requested through CMO, Career Mgr Officer. This kind of assignment is not for new ANC officers.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: How does one get selected to be on a Forward Surgical Team?

Quote Originally Posted by UGADawgs View Post
    Hello,

Thanks

Yes, the Navy does attached to Marine units. If I remember correctly they are call "Fleet Surgical Teams", but could be named something different now.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.