Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

Re: Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

The judge decided today the parents cannot refuse treatment. I agree with this decision on many grounds including common sense trumps religious beliefs concerning the medical welfare of a minor.

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

Post Re: Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

I agree with the judge's ruling in this matter.

I am reminded of the Jehovah's Witness vs. blood products bit. Very fine line, and the judge needs to have the wisdom of Soloman.

Cases like these are the very reason I am glad that I am not on a medical ethics board.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Mind you, I understand the Native American healing; my husband and I have many friends in that community. However.....I still believe in the Western way, also. Complementary therapies?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    In some states medical ethics board and state law can allow a child as young as 7 years old to make their own medical decisions. Certainly a 13 year old has the right to decide if he wants to undergo Chemo or not.

The question here is if this boy is being unduly influenced by people or persons who do not have his best interests at heart. The fact that one has to pay to become a member of this religion puts it's leader in a somewhat negative light. It would not be the first time a "Snake Oil" salesman came to town.

IMHO I believe that if a pshychological exam does not reveal suicidality and the child has been informed of all alternatives - especially how traditional homeopathic alternatives can ease the discomforts of chemo. He should be allowed to make his own decision. After all most chemotherapy agents are derived from plant and insect extracts and Eastern and Traditional medicines have from time to time triumphed over Western Technology.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

With the utmost respect to other posters, a 13 year old is seldom responsible for rational nutritional decisions, nevermind the topic here. I still think the correct decision was made.

But, this is why we discuss things, right?

I always understood that the 'age of reason' meant knowing right from wrong, usually about 7 years old.

When it comes to medical issues, those children that really understand their problems at a young age are far and few between. Hemophiliacs come to mind......

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Discuss 'Judge to decide...'

Just thought I would pitch in with some evidence based research studies that demonstrate my point. Of course as parent if I had to make these decisions I might think differently. Though in our area there was a 10 year old who "decided" not too have a second round of chemo for his leukemia and the parents and doctors ultimately decided to honor his life. He died 4 weeks after playing in his little league championships and his team won and went to state. here's the links to the research......

Can children make their own healthcare decisions?

<a href="http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/3117/Seriously-Ill-Children-MEDICAL-DECISION-MAKING-OLDER-CHILDREN.html">Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children</a>

Read more: "Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children" - Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children

<a href="http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/3117/Seriously-Ill-Children-MEDICAL-DECISION-MAKING-OLDER-CHILDREN.html">Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children</a>

Read more: "Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children" - Seriously Ill Children - Medical Decision-making For Older Children

Should children have a say in own medical care?

peace and namaste

Hppy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast