Thread: Time out

Time out

Hi,
    I'm OR nurse in Thailand.Who can help me to decribe about timeout guideline before surgery for patient safety.My hospital start to do that but sometime it is not same pattern we did.
    Thank you

Red face Re: Time out

Can't answer your question, but wanted to welcome you to the site. Hope you post a lot about nursing in Thailand.

Smile Re: Time out

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Can't answer your question, but wanted to welcome you to the site. Hope you post a lot about nursing in Thailand.
    Thanks Cali,I think we will join and share experiences about OR work.Thank you for your friendship!

Re: Time out

The timeout is a vocal way to ensure the same basic 5 Rights we've all learned and adhere to. The surgical site is marked by the MD or the OR Nurse. The procedure, site, patient, positioning, and pre-op prep medications (antibiotics or what have you) is verified with the Pt., MD's (surgeon and anesthesiologist), and OR Nurse. I do this in the pre-op holding area. This is all re-verified before incision (or local injection) by the entire OR Staff (anesthesiologist and/or anesthetist, too). I usually do this while the surgeon is gowning.

Ricu

Like most Critical Care Units, we do a lot of bedside procedures so, we keep a Time Out sheet in every chart where I work. It's a "check box" type form that has in addition to those items already listed, the correct patient name on the signed and dated consent form.

Great topic!

R

Thank you very much to all,
    We started to do for 1 year.We did it before patients were positioned but most surgeons and anestheologists did not aware about it that is big problem..How will I do to encourage them do it?

Ricu

It takes a lot of persistance. This is a very important safety tool so don't give up. They will eventually wear down.

Good luck.

R

Thank you very much for your cheerful..I hope it will progress and I will tell you again
    Happy work,Happy life..

Ricu

Always glad to hear from you, Manee.

R

One key when i do a time-out is saying it loudly, and i also begin it with "Ladies and Gentlemen i WILL have your attention right now, this is our official time-out."
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]