Thread: any advice?

any advice?

Hi, I'ma new user to this forum . Iam an RN with around 15 years experience and feel I've been a good,caring nurse for many years. I've worked mostly med-surg and home care. 5 years ago I became addicted to opiates after surgery for a cervical spine abcess. I returned to work to soon and found I was in alot of pain to where I diverted narcotics when a patient was not using them. Needless to say I was caught and admitted all. My license has been on probation and I've been clean and sober for almost 4 and a half years. The problem is even though I have my license with probationary stipulations, I have not been hired even after initial interest and encouragement from the employer. I feel very dicouraged and don't know what to do. Should I give up nursing? I also feel abit "rusty" as it's been awhile since I've worked. Any thoughts or suggestions? I live in Chicago. Love to hear from you all. Thanks AY

Smile Re: any advice?

The only advice I could offer would be to continue to seek employment until you find an employer who is willing to give you a chance, because you are going to need to get a job sooner or later, restrictions or not. At least, if you are trying you can answer truthfully that you have tried. I've read that some people find hiring managers who are willing to hire them. You just have to keep trying. Good luck.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
    Hi, I'ma new user to this forum . Iam an RN with around 15 years experience and feel I've been a good,caring nurse for many years. I've worked mostly med-surg and home care. 5 years ago I became addicted to opiates after surgery for a cervical spine abcess. I returned to work to soon and found I was in alot of pain to where I diverted narcotics when a patient was not using them. Needless to say I was caught and admitted all. My license has been on probation and I've been clean and sober for almost 4 and a half years. The problem is even though I have my license with probationary stipulations, I have not been hired even after initial interest and encouragement from the employer. I feel very dicouraged and don't know what to do. Should I give up nursing? I also feel abit "rusty" as it's been awhile since I've worked. Any thoughts or suggestions? I live in Chicago. Love to hear from you all. Thanks AY
    Check with Aurora Behavioral health in Chicago. Aurora is extremely friendly to nurses in recovery (at least in California) Before you say you'd never work psych let me tell you I did it for almost five years while I was in the CA Diversion program it made me into a great nurse in all areas of practice and opened the door to the job I have today which is great. In fact even in this recession our boss just gave us a Big $ bonus.

Write me here for support and advice!

Peace and Namaste

Hppy