Thread: Question

Question Question

I have very little knowledge about military anything, but I have always wanted to be a military nurse, and serve my country. There is one issue, I have medical issues (i.e. hearing aid) among other things, but I don’t want that to stop me from being a military nurse. I wouldn’t be able to be deployed overseas (well maybe I would depending on the resources available, but am quite sure that my medical needs would hinder the rest of my group) Although I know that I would be a great nurse for specific rolls (recovery and such) more slower paced environments. I would love to be deployed and working in the Emergency field of it all but it wouldn’t be practical for the rest of the team therefore would make it an unnecessary risk for everyone else. I hope this is making sense. My question is does anyone think there is a spot out there for me in the military nursing field, were I would still be stationed in the states?

P.S. I am fully competent to work in the average nursing field but wouldn’t not risk anyone else’s safety for my medical issues (nor do I think the army would) but it is a dream of mine so I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this.

Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineW View Post
    I have very little knowledge about military anything, but I have always wanted to be a military nurse, and serve my country. There is one issue, I have medical issues (i.e. hearing aid) among other things, but I don’t want that to stop me from being a military nurse. I wouldn’t be able to be deployed overseas (well maybe I would depending on the resources available, but am quite sure that my medical needs would hinder the rest of my group) Although I know that I would be a great nurse for specific rolls (recovery and such) more slower paced environments. I would love to be deployed and working in the Emergency field of it all but it wouldn’t be practical for the rest of the team therefore would make it an unnecessary risk for everyone else. I hope this is making sense. My question is does anyone think there is a spot out there for me in the military nursing field, were I would still be stationed in the states?

P.S. I am fully competent to work in the average nursing field but wouldn’t not risk anyone else’s safety for my medical issues (nor do I think the army would) but it is a dream of mine so I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this.
    Part of the entry application process is a complete physical. Second, to be honest with you since I was deployed to Iraq for 15 months, as well as my son presently on 12 month deployment in Iraq I strongly believe ALL military folks need to do there fair share of boots in the sand.

Have you considered being an Army Civilian RN at an Army Medical Center?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Wink Re: Question

I totally agree, I would love to be in the brunt of it all, but I am not willing to put the safety of my fellow soldiers at risk because of something stupid like my hearing aid battery suddenly dying and I cant hear a thing for a few minutes, Unless that is something they can work around, I don’t think they want to spend the time and effort "to deal" with someone with extra needs just because they want to be a military nurse. Well I hope that even if I don’t qualify there is another way I can help my country by doing what I love. I am sure Ill find a path somewhere.