Thread: "Nurse Jackie": Does this show make a mockery of nursing?

"Nurse Jackie": Does this show make a mockery of nursing?

I know weird things happen in Hollywood in the name of entertainment, but I don't think the world needed another show depicting nurses as drug abusing adulterous cruds who make it with the pharmacist in the med room.

Tacky, dumb show.
    RN, BSN, ANP student

Re: "Nurse Jackie": Does this show make a mockery of nursing?

I just saw this advertised on youtube the other day. I am not quite sure what to think about it, as I have not seen it yet due to the course load I am facing this semester.

I was wondering if someone was going to bring that up though.

-------------

Ok I just loaded it up and within the first five minutes, this chick as snorting a med. This show definately seems to be a disgrace to the nursing profession. Also, when she signed the guy's license to make him an organ donor, I was pissed, I won't lie.

To be fair, I am going to watch the full episode all the way through before I make any more judgements.

I miss ER.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Unhappy Re: "Nurse Jackie": Does this show make a mockery of nursing?

I watched all but the last few minutes due to a poor internet connection. I was not favorably impressed. I found myself thinking that I don't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. I was very disgusted with their portrayal of the nursing student. Somehow this show is rubbing me the wrong way on a visceral level. I will most likely avoid it.

i have not personally seen it and don't plan too. I do know alot of nurses that aren't happy with it. so i would have to conclude that it must be crap
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~

It is not that the show is crappy, as a matter of fact; if I wasnt a nurse or in the medical field, I might actually watch it regularly. However, the issue that most of us take with the show is the way it presents nurses. Most people would be surprised at the role the media plays in people's perception of the health-care profession.

For instance, I still have new Paramedics coming on the ambulances thinking that all we do is trauma, and scream STAT! all day--because they have watched too many Rescue 911's, ER's, etc. Don't even get me started on all the people watching house that come into the nursing unit expecting a daily medical mystery that must be solved to save a patient's life.

I will admit, however--I enjoyed the part where she flushed the guy's ear down the toilet.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Mom cannot understand for the life of her why I do NOT watch House, ER, or anything like this. I tell her I LIVE the life; I don't have to watch it. :34: MASH, I can handle.

Member Extraordinaire

I watched the trailer a few weeks ago, and have vowed not to watch this show, or subscribe to Showtime because of it.... The trailer showed "Nurse Jackie" snorting drugs & having at least 3 boob grabs by physicians in less than 5 minutes. Portrayals like this hurt our profession's public image.

At my last travel assignment, some of the techs wore shirts that said: "Emergency Department: Some people watch it on TV, we live it!" .....nuff' said.....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I love ER, I am a huge fan. However, when I am at the ambulance service or the hangar, there is an unwritten rule--We do not turn on ER, Trauma: Life in the ER, House, The Critical Hour, or any other show about medicine, unless it is scrubs, which doesnt really count as it is a comedy.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F View Post
    I love ER, I am a huge fan. However, when I am at the ambulance service or the hangar, there is an unwritten rule--We do not turn on ER, Trauma: Life in the ER, House, The Critical Hour, or any other show about medicine, unless it is scrubs, which doesnt really count as it is a comedy.
    Yeah- I love Scrubs- it is hilarious, and they're not trying to be realistic, which is a good thing.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Hey hows it going

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, great forum here