Thread: Male nurse?!?!?!?

Unhappy Male nurse?!?!?!?

hey, im a 19 year old male. and iv currently completed the first of my 3 year biomedical science degree which im not enjoying. & iv had a change of heart in terms of the career that i want to pursue, i want a job thats more 'hands on' rather than 'behind the scenes' (Which is the kind of job that my degree will lead to). i want to be in contact with patients and actually care for them & talk to them (mental nursing??). so im considering nursing. i havnt fully researched into it as of yet so i apologise if i sound ridiculous!! But advice would be much appreciated. Im also a male. so what would that mean for me? would it make a difference? is it embarassing? Please help!!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male nurse?!?!?!?

While nursing is a predominantly female-dominated profession, more and more males are entering nursing. We even have a male nurse's forum here on this site! If you want to research more about what nursing is like, you could contact local hospital or nursing schools and ask if they will allow you to shadow a nurse for a day- that will give you an idea of what it's really like.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hi! The Forum Amanda speaks of is found here: Male Nurses Forum - Ultimate Nurse

Also: There are no ridiculous/stupid questions, so--ask away.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by whitepicketdreams View Post
    hey, im a 19 year old male. and iv currently completed the first of my 3 year biomedical science degree which im not enjoying. & iv had a change of heart in terms of the career that i want to pursue, i want a job thats more 'hands on' rather than 'behind the scenes' (Which is the kind of job that my degree will lead to). i want to be in contact with patients and actually care for them & talk to them (mental nursing??). so im considering nursing. i havnt fully researched into it as of yet so i apologise if i sound ridiculous!! But advice would be much appreciated. Im also a male. so what would that mean for me? would it make a difference? is it embarassing? Please help!!
    Hey "change of heart",

Welcome to Ultimate Nurse and to the field of nursing. Let me echo everyone else who said that nothing you have written sounds ridiculous. On the contrary, doing research in order to match your interests with career options shows intelligence.

Please do look at the Male Nurses Forum because I think you will get a pretty good idea of what's going on for men in the field. Don't hesitate to ask questions and remember, there is no dumb question.

Good luck,

R