Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Students!

Welcome Students!

There are no stupid questions! Ask away...... and welcome to what we think is the "Ultimate" place for you to interact with your future peers.

Re: Welcome Students!

My wife and I are in the Nursing program here in Las Vegas where we live. My wife is Russian and extremely smart. We went into the Nursing program because we returned from living in Russia for the past five and a half years and had trouble getting a good job. I think that Nursing is a good job.

What do you people think of a nursing student becoming a certified nursing assistant and an apprentice nurse prior to actually becoming a registered nurse? We have been offered jobs, but don't know if it would help us. The money won't be great and the job might be low tech, but I think that we would have a leg up on any new nurse on the scene. Also, our ultimate goal is to become travel nurses (I am a travel-holic and been in 65 countries and counting) and see the USA in our Chevrolet.

Incidentally, this school has cemented the relationship between my wife and I like nothing I have ever seen before. We are kind of comrades in arms and have become even closer than when we fell in love. Corny, but true.

"Brilliant Watson!" You are dead on! You will learn things as a CNA that will serve you well in your nursing practice. Don't think of it as low tech because you get out of anything, that which you put in. The only thing is that you will not get to do the "hands on" with certain functions, but, it will afford you valuable time to get the theory down before having to do it all at once. It is like working your way up from the mail room so to speak. Keep us posted on your progress!! We all wish you two the very best!

They money isn't that great. But the experience will help you infinately in my opinion. It lets you get right in there and it is hands on training all the time. And you can learn alot by keeping your eyes and ears open while doing your job.

I have been following another forum on travel nursing which we are interested in and need some suggestions.

I think that it is a given that experience is necessary for travel nursing and finding yourself in a specialty that is in high demand. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what to look for and how to get into these fields? I don't want to waste any time working in an area that won't get me to my goal.

Any suggestions?

I'm not an acute care nurse but from others that are- a good med surg background seems to have made them strong candidates. Also ICU positions.

In general hospitals and travel nursing agencies require two years of acute care experience. As far as specialties, almost any will do.

Guys tend to gravitate to ER, ICU, CCU and critical care.

With 3-5 years experience there, you can go virtually anywhere and work.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Holy Moly Andy, It took you three years to come up with that answer? <j/k>
    O_S

Hi!!
    I'm finishing my the remainder of 1st yr nursing @ uni this yr.
    I go on placements at the beginning of September (first time). Not sure where atm, either rehab or aged care. Should be quite a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Hiya.
    I'm Shaina,
    I am 20 and just went back into school,
    I am planning on getting into forensic nursing after completing my BSN at The Univeristy Of North Florida,
    currently working as a CNA while in school...
    Blah.

That's all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast