Thread: Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining

Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining

I'm a 29 y/o, experienced RN, BSN with 4 years of OR (I did everything including Neuro and CV) and 2 years of Interventional Radiology (like Cath Lab, but everything OTHER than the heart). I was also PV coordinator/charge for a year.

One of the reasons, I'm considering the military is the lack of clear-cut organization and code of conduct I see in civilian nursing. Backstabbing complaining; I don't participate, but being in that environment can wear on a person's nerves after awhile ;D This is why I went to another department as a staff nurse. I'm hoping that the military is better about this?

I am considering the AF, just because my Dad was an SS in it in the 70's and I don't hear much about the AF Nurses. Maybe there's a reason?

How would my pre-military experience be delt with? I've not really worked the floor, so some of those skills have been replaced by others. I can refresh, but gosh, I worked in those areas for a reason.

Also, pay. I make between $40 and 50 grand right now with benefits. I don't really want to take a pay cut, especially if I'd be losing my seniority as well. I really view this more as joining another hospital rather than some lofty serve my country ideal. That's there too, but I'm not an idealistic 17 y/o. I have a family!

I welcome and appreciate any advice or counsel. Thanks.

Re: Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining

"I really view this more as joining another hospital rather than some lofty serve my country ideal. That's there too, but I'm not an idealistic 17 y/o. I have a family!"

That statement concerns. I do see you participate on Facebook. I posted another thread with direct FB links to both ANC groups. You may find them helpful. However, I have no direct AF nursing experience so that I cannot help you with.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Facebook User

I spent 28 years in the USAF (nothing medical) and retired in '98 as a Chief Master Sergeant. Since then I worked for a airline for 5 years, tried retirement, and went back to school and got my RN. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss the USAF. My X went in the ANG as an RN, spent most of her time as a flight nurse and is currently a Lt Col. Go for it!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the site, both AFChief and Johnny!