Thread: Looking for info on the NCLEX-RN and -PN

Looking for info on the NCLEX-RN and -PN

Hi, as much as I look around on other sites, I can't find a very clear trajectory of the whole process from nursing education to actual licensure. I've read a good deal about the NCLEX-RN and -PN, but I was hoping you guys could just give me a quick run-through of what your experiences were like.

For example: what school did you go to for study and how long were you there? Once you've finished schooling, can you please describe the process by which you went about applying for and taking either the NCLEX-PN or -RN? Do you need take the -PN before the -RN? Is the -RN considerably more difficult than the -PN?

If one or more of you could answer these questions you'd really be helping me out a lot, and I'd love to hear some stories of how you guys got to where you are. Please, be candid in your stories and don't hold anything back or worry about droning on, I wanna hear it all

Thanks

Re: Looking for info on the NCLEX-RN and -PN

Hello, are you looking for a nursing program to get into?

It's pretty standardized, you can't practice or get a license until you graduate from school, and pass the licensure exam.

The school you are attending will make sure you have practiced and are prepared. Their rankings are based usually on the licensure exam pass rates. If their pass rates start to fall, their accrediting agencies may threaten to yank their right to teach students.

So choose a program, towards the end, you'll prepare for the licensure exam, you graduate, you pass the exam and you start to practice.

You can find some tips on the exams here. Studying questions for instance, will help you throughout nursing school, not just when it is time to study for the licensure exam.

http://www.nursefriendly.com/nclex/

That's it in a nutshell, if you have other questions please post them.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Post Re: Looking for info on the NCLEX-RN and -PN

The LPN and RN licenses are separate entities, with separate schooling and licensure procedures. The LPN license is not required to become an RN. What you may have been seeing are references to LPN to RN bridge programs in nursing schools. These programs are designed to make it easier for LPNs to become RNs by giving them some credit for their LPN schooling and allowing them easier access to the RN program. Applying for a license is normally handled at the end of school. The school administration compiles a list of graduates that is sent to the Board and assists their graduates with the application process. Others simply go online and fill out the application there or obtain an application and send it in, following the instructions on the application. Once the application is approved, an Authorization To Test letter is generated and the applicant makes an appointment to take the NCLEX. There are various ways to get a nursing education, based upon the goals of the student and the availability of seats. One can go to LPN school. For RN school, one can attend a diploma program, an ASN program at a community college, a BSN program, an accelerated BSN program, or an entry level MSN program at colleges and universities. Each program at each nursing school has its own requirements for entry and program completion. Many people apply to all the nursing schools within traveling distance of their home and attend the first program that accepts them.