Thread: Standing Up For Your Patient

Standing Up For Your Patient

I am interested in hearing about nurses who have stood up for what is right, being admonished for it and the outcome of the situation. Ex. A nurse in OR reminds the surgeon he must sign the operative permit stating that her patient has been explained the surgical procedure and understands pros/cons. The surgeon refuses outright. The nurse attempts to follow hospital policy because it will be her license if she doesn't tend to the matter and the patient has a bad outcome, goes to court and accuses Dr. and nurse of assault. What situations have you, the Ultimate members, faced and how have you handled them?

Re: Standing Up For Your Patient

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

My wife has worked in a local ER for about 18 years, and thru my association with the ER staff, I get to go to there gatherings. And I hear a lot of complaining about how little control they have about patient care. I had always wondered if it was just them. But after seeing some of the things on here. I find this is a huge epidemic all over the country. And having the courgae(and it does take a lot) to call a Dr accountable for the things he does , is in my opinion the ultimate sacrifice a nurse can make for her/their patients. and i say sacrifice since we all know the S##T will hit the fan. Heres hoping that one day, nurses will be treated for the knowledgeable and caring person they are. Have a great day, Jerry

I believe many doctors, with their over-sized egos, lack some proper patient care and etiquette due to their tendency to be stubborn. Sure we all have our days and are forgetful from time to time, but there are many people who will never admit to it, especially an MD. I think by acknowledging the protocol and legal procedures before the doctor does, and by bringing it to his/her attention, makes them feel like they have been underminded. Heaven forbid they come down to the same level as the rest of us. (personally, that is) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The Hospital I work at is fairly large and we have a place we can write up Drs who have offended us and it is brought before that Dr after a board has seen it. Often you never hear anything back but you can and will if you desire. The Dr will be confronted by his peers then. I had a Dr. who was very upset with me once and stated that I should just know when she was on the floor and not page her then. I pondered this and it is an unreal expectation as the floor is square and a nurse does not see but one fourth of the floor from her given spot. I ask the charge nurse how she would just know when this particular Dr got off the elevator on to our floor. She told me that was a simple enough question. "The temperature of the floor drops." Hope you enjoyed this.