Thread: thinking about traveling, advice?

thinking about traveling, advice?

Hey there all! I'm a 27 year old new grad with one year of med/surg (though i hate that general category....i work on a floor that is tranplant/urology/plastics, ie burns, nasty complicated wounds etc/and green surgery, ie whipples, etc). things just hadn't worked out for me in my personal life since i've been here at my hospital....i don't mind my job (though i feel shut out from my coworkers due to the whole clicky nature of things in my dept.), but i just feel that maybe doing this job somewhere a little more fun, and on my own, may be better for me.
    i have NEVER traveled before and don't know the first thing about it, but i'm filling out applications and giving this a major consideration. I put in with Cirrus because it was advertised here...does anyone have any other suggestions? i just don't want to get stuck with a bad company off the bat, and i want to know what i should really look out for if/when i choose an assignment. ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys/gals!!!
    ---Amy

Re: thinking about traveling, advice?

I met 1 travel nurse that loves Cirrus. I would sign on with several companies because the jobs are tight now and this will increase your travel options. Clinical One, RN-Network, are good.
    Private message me for my recruiters names. right now I'm with Medical Solutions and I like them alot but they don't have alot of assignments.
    Read the reviews section, click on companies and you will get an idea of who to avoid....
    Where do you want to go?

Just had a question for some exprienced travel nurses out there. Recently I've been trying to get a travel contract in the Reno Nevada area. There are 2 hospitals there that I know of, St Mary's and Reknown Medical Center. I have a little more than 2 years experience as a nurse in Med-Surg and telemetry but no travel experience. Is it true that once you hav one assignment under your belt it makes things easier later on? I didn't think Reno would be that popular of an area but given the economy I'm sure people are taking what they can get. Thanks in advance for any information anyone is able to provide or suggest.

Some travlers have mentioned that Renown is a horrible place to work, not sure if that is still true.. Anyway check out the Reviews section for hositals by state
    Now with the job market tight, I've seen alot of postings that want Nurses who have traveled before. So try to pick a decent travel job as your life will be miserble.