Thread: Sexual Harassment

Sexual Harassment

I work in a department of young adults. Being 21, I am the youngest and the eldest are mid-30's. Some of us are really close friends and we have a blast at work. There is no "sexual tension" whatsoever, but we always joke around and are usually very "friendly". (hugs, slaps on the butt, etc.) We don't act this way in front of patients and don't let things get out-of-hand. None of us are at all offended by this nature and never take it to heart. However, we just got a new orderly and the majority of us swear she is a bisexual. I know, it's awful to stereotype someone like this, but last week she walked by and grabbed my butt. As if I wasn't appalled enough, she said, "I just couldn't help myself, didn't you like it?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] WHAT!!!! "No, I did NOT like it........because I'm straight!" She didn't seem like it was any big deal and I'm wondering if it is because she sees others act in a similar manner and just assumed it wouldn't bother me or if she was making a pass. One of our techs said I should file sexual harassment but I know she would turn around and file it on every one of us. I was so disgusted, I seriously wanted to go home and shower. It was awful. She still acts as if it wasn't a violation of my personal space.....my ass!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Sexual Harassment

Oh forgive me all, but I'm gonna have to do this.....OK, having been a newbe on many occassions, I have to say that is very difficult to enter an arena where everyone is so comfortable with one another. It is also difficult to know how to act when being accepted is very important. One of the reasons the behavior you so readily admit to is usually frowned upon is due to what happened to you. When a professional atmosphere is kept then things like this just won't happen. That doesn't mean you have to be a prude of course. There are always many different ways to respond to something. I know that hindsight is always 20/20 so it is good you brought this to the group. Tell yourself that this gal might be confused as to where her boundaries are. She may not have meant anything or if she was coming on to you then you just tell her what you did. If she doesn't get the message then tell her again and clearly that you do not wish for her to touch you. Tell her that you don't want to have to report her to the supervisor. If she continues to show inappropriate behavior then have your manager talk to her. Hope this helps. P.S. Beautiful command of the icons!

You made some good points. I understand it is a challenge coming into a new environment, and our department ranks up with the most challenging. A lot of people say we are very clickish so I don't blame her for making an attempt to fit in. I just hope that's what she was really doing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thank-you for your very mature response. You will make a great manager one day. Maybe you can effect a change in your department and show everyone that it is OK to let others in. They might turn out to be really cool. We generally want to give more when we are happy. Life is short.

Wow, you are so right. One of the traits I do not pride myself in is my quickness to judge others. I need to open up and allow everyone to show their true colors before I ruin the image I have of them. I haven't been too fair, have I? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Life is defintely too short. Thanks for the comment about becoming a good manager someday....I may shoot for that!