Thread: Looking for advice and recommendations

Looking for advice and recommendations

I would like recommendations on a travel agency that has assisgnments available at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in Fl.
    I was working there as a staff nurse in early 2000 - 2003 in the CCU and ER. I left when I was hired with the State of Florida, which is where I am now.

The problem is the pay rate with the state is stagnant. Nurses have not been given a raise in over 4 years, and it is just no longer competative with the private sector. And with the budget like it is now, it is not looking promising for any state employee's to be given a raise in the forseeable future.

I live approx. 60 miles from Tallahassee and I think that is far enough to qualify as a travel assignment, not sure though. Any advice or recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rick

Cool Re: Looking for advice and recommendations

All I know about this is that I've seen ads for travel agencies that said they wanted employees to live at least 50 miles away from the assignment. Good luck finding something.

Re: Looking for advice and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    All I know about this is that I've seen ads for travel agencies that said they wanted employees to live at least 50 miles away from the assignment. Good luck finding something.
    That is the impression I was under also, so I believe that I am far enough away...barely lol.

Thanks, I may need a little luck.

Red face Re: Looking for advice and recommendations

Reading on this site indicates that travel positions have been drying up for quite some time due to the economy. Some nurses have been cancelled so much that they have been forced to take full time permanent jobs because they couldn't sustain themselves with traveling. It might not be the best time to be seeking travel assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Reading on this site indicates that travel positions have been drying up for quite some time due to the economy. Some nurses have been cancelled so much that they have been forced to take full time permanent jobs because they couldn't sustain themselves with traveling. It might not be the best time to be seeking travel assignments.
    WOW, that sucks, I really was hoping for the housing stipend for the extra inspiration to leave the state...

Member Extraordinaire

If you really have your heart set on working as a traveler at a specific hospital, I would start with that hospital's HR department. Ask if they currently have any traveler needs, and which companies they contract with.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen