Thread: Am new to recovery

Facebook User

Am new to recovery

new to recovery 2 & 1/2 months in and just finished my evaluation which said I needed 6wks inpatient. I thought about changing maybe going into social work or something. does anybody know anything about how hard that would be.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Recovering nurse chat

I would advise that you not persue a career change until you deal with your addiction issue. The Big Book states that we should make no major life changes in the first year of recovery. Why because early recovery is hard work. I don't know the details of your story or what brought you to recovery but you really do need time the settle into your sobriety - not to get back to a career but just to find yourself again. Career and Geographical changes are common for those of us with addictive problems.
    Write to me here anytime. You can even PM me. A little about me - I had a long history of alcoholism (20 + years) prior to becoming a nurse. After a failed suicide attempt in 2004 I self-reported and went into the Diversion program in California. I have been sober ever since and graduated from the program last year. There were times when I just wanted to quit nursing all together - I'm a pretty good dog groomer(lol), but I stuck it out and today I am a healthy happy working nurse.

The road you are on is not an easy one - but you can get better and be a great nurse and whatever else you want to be. Treatment first, career next. It does get better. I promise.

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful